GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by

yep.. the diablosport predator (7194) and the Trinity both can disable the DOD/AFM...

I've had mine disabled in my car for 4.5+ years now... get better mileage without it... depending on your usual driving habits of course... if you do a LOT of highway driving, the DOD/AFM would be beneficial... but for my 50/50 town/highway driving, it gave me worse mileage...

I gained 2 - 2.5 mpg once I disabled it...
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

Hello Lew.

what's up man!!! howdy!!

Sr. Engineer

We have never seen anyone lose MPG by having DOD/AFM on, as the intention is to have better MPG.
    Black Bear Performance- Custom Tuning Solutions

Authorized EFILive and MAGNACHARGER seller

again, depends on driving habits, locations (city/highway), etc.. I've seen a lot of people get better mileage with it off/disabled, trucks and cars alike...

but for people that do more/mostly highway driving, yes it is better to keep it on/enabled, as it does help with mileage in that case...

Sr. Engineer

Are you making other changes when you turn DOD/AFM off? There is no way that V4 mode is worse than V8 mode as far as MPGs go.

well, I'm sure they make other changes when they install a tune to the vehicle, heh... and no, these are not all people I've done stuff for... they are simply using the handheld themselves to install a tune and disable the DOD/AFM... and they've tried/tested it out on their own.. checking their mileage with it on and off... some do better with it off, and some do better with it on... the accumulation of results tended to show that, if you do more town/city driving than highway, they actually got better mileage with it off... if the people did mostly highway driving, or at least more than city, they did better by leaving it on...

experienced it myself with my own car... way back, before I even got into the custom tuning... using the programmer to disable the DOD on my car, I gained 2 - 2.5 mpg... and I do about 50/50 to 60/40 city/highway driving... so, more town/city driving than highway, with DOD/AFM off = better mileage.. for me, and others who have tried/tested it...

When I was doing my own trials/testing, I left the tune untouched, and only enabled/disabled the DOD... driving habits were kept the same, roads traveled, etc etc... and every time, when I enabled the DOD, I lost mpg... disable it again, and I gained my mpg back...

have you done any testing??? maybe in your area it doesn't affect it as much?? dunno... but I do know, that it does make a difference...
    Last edited by 06MonteSS; 09-16-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Sr. Engineer

Seriously, think about it. With the CAFE standards as they are, GM would not release such a controversial feature if it hindered mileage- no matter what the public perception.

A big difference would be in how this testing was done. Just swapping a tune out for a few miles as you know, does not give it enough time to learn. Amount of miles, road conditions, weather etc. as I am sure you are aware, are big factors in this.

yes I'm aware of all that... when changes were made, driving was done for weeks at a time before switching the setting back, and then more driving for a few weeks...

and, GM does it for HIGHWAY mileage, to improve the mpg numbers for highway driving... which also helps them to get around the extra gas-guzzler tax on their big-engine vehicles, heh...

DOD/AFM does nothing to help for driving around town/city...
    Last edited by 06MonteSS; 09-17-2010 at 07:38 AM.

Sr. Engineer

WOW. From your logic, wind resistance is more prevalent at lower speeds than higher speeds.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by