GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Air Conditioning Cutting off

New Compressor and new pressure switch (on dryer) correct amount of 134a vacumed down and leak tested at the local a/c shop and not leaking. Drove 300 miles yesterday and for most of the trip she was blowing cold but then the a/c light on the button turned off and it started blowing warm. This morning get up and turn it on it worked for 5 mins and then the light turned off again. Just got in the truck tonight took a 15 minute run and the a/c blew cold and remained on? Any help in debugging appreciated.
    Danny
    Saint Petersburg FL
    1999 SUBURBAN LT C1500
    1985 MAZDA RX-7 BLOWTHROUGH TURBO
    1987 BMW 325IS
    1994 Infinti Q45
    1997 Nissan Maxima GLE

You may have a bad switch. If so you would be able to see the A//C request state on a scanner. That would be where I would start.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Legend

Blog Entries

By "switch", are you meaning the actual controller (knobs?). If so I'll agree there as well. I've been having some trouble recently with my a/c system. When I got the truck it wouldn't blow in anything but the OFF position. I changed out the controller (switch) unit and it worked fine - turns out the place I got it from had replaced the unit with one that wasn't working well and didn't even have the rear defrost button.

Just recently my blower would turn off intermittently. The A/c button would stay lit, though. Before I purchased yet another controller unit I pulled it out and found a loose connection in back. I would wiggle one of the plugs and have the fan kick on and off. I think I found the culprit but am still determining if that's the real problem. I'm about to head off to the local junk yard (as local as you can get here) and see if they still had a suburban out there I swiped a rear door tag from. If so I'll most likely see if I can cut out the plug I need and replace the one in my Sub. If it still cuts on and off then I'll know for sure it's the problem with the controller unit itself and I'll deal with that.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Left the switch in the same position as it had been when it was working. Havent even turned it off and it has consistently been working for the last 2 days so I think your suggestions are on point. If it starts acting up again I will get another set and replace them. Thanks.
    Danny
    Saint Petersburg FL
    1999 SUBURBAN LT C1500
    1985 MAZDA RX-7 BLOWTHROUGH TURBO
    1987 BMW 325IS
    1994 Infinti Q45
    1997 Nissan Maxima GLE

Steven,
    I need to access behind the three A/C switches to find any loose wires too. Can you explain how to fix the switch or knob?. My "almost new", 1995 Sub - Dash has the Delco radio and cassette with no CD player. ... I have also the intermittent A/c blower off and on again gremlin. Please? Thank You