GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Battery issues

Default Battery issues

My 1997 Chevy Suburban is having power issues. It won't start without a jump. Then, it stays running fine, but if it is powered back off of any length of time, it won't start again and has to be jumped. I have tested the alternator...fine. I have pulled disconnected the positive battery cable, and when you run it across the post...sparks fly. I've pulled each fuse one-by-one, and the sparks still happen. What am I not thinking of? Somewhere, something is drawing current, but what? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Default time for a new battery

if its the original it sevred its purpose, batteries wear out take it to a autoparts store they can test it for you if it just needs a charge theyll charge it for free, or let you know its time for a new one.
    2000 Silverado Z71 Whipple Supercharger, JBA Headers,3" cat back Flowmaster Exhaust, Volant cai, Pioneer Preimer deck,Orion subwoofer,03 signal light mirrors,03 taililghts

The battery is about 4 months old, and has worked like a charm. This issue started last week. Happened once on Wednesday, then again on Monday, then again last night. The truck sat from Monday evening until Thursday evening. Did it again today.

Quote Originally Posted by mjclsi View Post
    The battery is about 4 months old, and has worked like a charm. This issue started last week. Happened once on Wednesday, then again on Monday, then again last night. The truck sat from Monday evening until Thursday evening. Did it again today.
    Id get it tested sometimes you get a bad one. it may just beholding a enough of a charge to start it in a few hour period but them loses the charge if left for over a day,thats what happened to mine when it started to go. take it to where you got it at the best you get a new battery at the worst you take the battery of the list off things it could be.
    Last edited by zubbiez; 06-27-2009 at 11:17 PM.
    2000 Silverado Z71 Whipple Supercharger, JBA Headers,3" cat back Flowmaster Exhaust, Volant cai, Pioneer Preimer deck,Orion subwoofer,03 signal light mirrors,03 taililghts

Legend

Here is a NO COST test for you!!!! Get the truck running, then run it around a bit to get the battery charged back up. When you get home DO NOT shut the truck off. Disconnect the battery from the truck, if it dies you have an alternater issue. If thats the case DO NOT run it like that, alternaters can lock up and this could break your belt and cause other damage!!
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16