GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default looking at new gears?

ok, i currently have 3.23 gear ratio in my truck, i was wondering if i could get any better gas mileage in town with a 3.42 gear set? i hardly drive on the high way any more, so i dont care about highway mileage. and i dont want to go anything lower then the 3.42 because i already have traction issues also

You should get a small increase in the city with the 3.42 set, but it won't be much I'd think.
    I do gear swaps all day long on Subaru SVX's which I take from a 3.545 ratio to a 4.444 ratio and the city mileage goes up about 3 MPG or so and highway stays the same(at least in those cars), so I'd imagine you would only gain .5-1.5 MPG at the most from a swap like that.
    1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 210K miles:
    350 Vortec/4L60E, 3.42 posi, Underdrive crank pulley, K&N filter, Superchips power programmer, mallory coil, true dual exhaust, torque swirl TB spacer, and more!

1991 Pontiac Trans Am GTA- L98 Superram
    1992 Subaru SVX LS-L- Way too many mods to list!

Quote Originally Posted by budfreak View Post
    You should get a small increase in the city with the 3.42 set, but it won't be much I'd think.
    I do gear swaps all day long on Subaru SVX's which I take from a 3.545 ratio to a 4.444 ratio and the city mileage goes up about 3 MPG or so and highway stays the same(at least in those cars), so I'd imagine you would only gain .5-1.5 MPG at the most from a swap like that.
    X2 on the small increase. It would take years to recoup the savings. You would see a little more performence with the 3.42s.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    X2 on the small increase. It would take years to recoup the savings. You would see a little more performence with the 3.42s.
    Performance not performence.

I have an 08 w/4.8 and 3.23. Great MPG but a dog at low end. I know 3.73's would give me more performance that I lack but how bad would my MPG suffer?
    Second part of this, is the sluggish low end possibly attributted to nonresponsive electronic throttle?
    I am in regret of trading my 01 in on this 08 and going from the 5.3 to a 4.8. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dwoftx View Post
    I have an 08 w/4.8 and 3.23. Great MPG but a dog at low end. I know 3.73's would give me more performance that I lack but how bad would my MPG suffer?
    Second part of this, is the sluggish low end possibly attributted to nonresponsive electronic throttle?
    I am in regret of trading my 01 in on this 08 and going from the 5.3 to a 4.8. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Your truck was made to get good mileage. Changing the gears will be a trade off for lower mileage. You can't have your cake and eat it too! <G>
    Don't blame the throttle. The electronic throttle is more precise than a cable. The sluggishness is an engine problem of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    Don't blame the throttle. The electronic throttle is more precise than a cable. The sluggishness is an engine problem of some kind.
    unless he is taking about the lag time you get if you go from no throttle to full throttle, i notice their is about a 1 second delay.

I don't have that lag on my 6L.

heres an ideal ration chart for better gas or more power to the pavemnet http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm that will help out alot also for your tire sizes

I realize that there is a give and take with MPG to performance,but the low end on this thing is bad. I have had it back in twice and since it does not throw a code they tell be it is normal. I was told I would not tell much of a difference from my old 01 5.3 but it is day and night. There is such a delay from a dead stop that I won't jump into traffic, you just have to sit and wait like a grandma. I'm 59 and not looking for a hotrod but this is pitiful. when I get to about 50 it comes to life and feels like a V8.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by