GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Mind of it's own?

Good evening Fellow GMTruck Members. Proud owner of a 2003 Suburban. The problem I am about to describe comes and goes. Like it acts up for a week and then disappears for weeks on end maybe even a month or two - then comes back for a short time, etc. OK - To the left of the steering wheel is the push button transmission controls. I have on the top "Auto AWD" followed by a "N" then "2H" & "4H" and finally on the bottom of the tree "4L"

I am always in 2WD...with the Iowa winters on occasion I use 4H...or Auto AWD. Last fall I had all the fluids changed: Transmission, Rear diff, and Transfer case. I think it started in the winter...the problem is that I am always in 2WD - I'm driving around town and I'd look over at the push button controls and the truck would be in Auto AWD - huh??? I'd switch it back to 2WD. Fine --- a day later --- I look over and the Red Light next to the "N" is lit??? What the??? So I switch it back and all is good....for a while. And like a month later...I pull out and start driving - trying to get up to 50 MPH and the truck seems slugglish - like it would stall....I quickly look the gauges over nothing jumps out at me....then I glance to the push button tranmission switches and freaking 4L is on????? No wonder I couldn't accel and the truck jumped....so I slow it down to 1mph and shift the truck into neutral and shift to 4H and then 2WD....and nothing else weird has happened for days now. The times this has happened is when the weather is extreme...like way cold (-20) and recently here in Iowa it has been 95 degrees with heat index over a 100. HELP - I'm going crazy here. Am I screwed or is there a explaination (besides gremlins - LOL).
    Last edited by Iowa.Bowhunter; 06-27-2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: add words

Default Anyone?

ttt...Just wondering if anyone has any ideas? Thanks

ttt...Just wondering if anyone has any ideas? Thanks

Maybe need a new Transfer case controller?
    Joseph

Airforce Veteran (7 years)

NRA Life Member

Legend

You can take it to the dealership and they can do a test on the push button controls. If you put it in 4hi does it actually shift into 4. Mine did something similiar but was going into 4hi it was the dash module that was shot
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    You can take it to the dealership and they can do a test on the push button controls. If you put it in 4hi does it actually shift into 4. Mine did something similiar but was going into 4hi it was the dash module that was shot
    Yes - it does shift into 4hi. Dash module - Huh? I will check into that - it is a good start anyway because I was clueless as to even what to ask. I've only owned it for a year and I am still learning - Thanks.

Legend

Dash module I am just referring to the trasnfer case selector, Get it checked.