GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Long Tube Headers

My birthday is coming up and I was looking at what I should get for myself for my birthday to get some more performance out of my suburban and the last time i asked someone on here they recommended getting long tube headers over shortys. Whats the best place to locate some long tube headers and do muffler shops usually charge quite a bit to rearrange your exhaust? I can't really think of what else to upgrade on my suburban other than the headers which are still stock. I know long tube headers stick out underneath the vehicle a little bit but i think i am okay since my suburban is higher up, it shouldn't be a problem whenever I drive through corn fields in nebraska i hope?
    K1500 5.7L Chevy Suburban
    290000+ miles
    K&N CAI
    Black Bear Performance Tune
    TCI Servo and Shift Kit
    Long Tube Ceramic Pacesetter Headers
    Custom Side Swept Dual Exhaust
    Dual 2.5in electric DMH Performance Exhaust Cutouts
    BFG A/T 285s

There are a couple of places to look at for Headers,Jegs,Summit Racing would be a good place to start.With the holiday coming up most of,if not all of the aftermarket sites will offer Deeper discounts and some of them offer free shipping.As far as cost with a muffler shop to do the work,call around and get some estimates,as each shop most likely have a different rate.And with the long tube you will have plenty of clearance.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Legend
    Blog Entries

I just priced a set of Dynatech long tube headers with all of the emissions crap hooked to it, and it was pretty damn pricey. But my local exhaust shop is going to charge $250 just to put these headers on, he said they are a real pain in the a$$ to get too. I would say that the clearance shouldn't be an issue, depending on how good the shop is that you go to.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

ive got long tube tri y throley's i suggest spending the exta for ceramic coated ones so they dont rust or blue on ya in the future or you can do what i did and get the normal chrome and send em to www.jet-hot.com and have em coat them allows you more color and tempature options and such had shortys before didnt notice much gain till in the 3000 and up range in rpms was dissapointed in em
    Last edited by grimreapersshadow; 06-29-2009 at 10:01 PM.

Sr. Engineer

There is definitely some power to be had from the LT headers (shorties are essentially the same as stock, so best to save your money and go with LTs as you stated). I have the AEM LTs and am very happy with them.
    Black Bear Performance- Custom Tuning Solutions

Authorized EFILive and MAGNACHARGER seller

I found some on summit racing website and here is the link...i hope its okay to post links here http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HO...R/?image=large

Are these the type of headers I am looking for? Full Length headers = Long Tube headers?
    290000+ miles
    K&N CAI
    TCI Servo and Shift Kit
    BFG A/T 285s

Blog Entries

definately some long tubes

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|

yeah thats the idea heres the thorley lineup for a burban http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...s/?Ns=Rank|Asc theres a little bit of work involved but its worth every penny and any good muffler shop can do it

with the thorleys would I be able to install that by myself or would I need the help of a muffler shop to rearrange where my exhaust is underneath my suburban? Such as the catalytic converter and the muffler.
    290000+ miles
    K&N CAI
    TCI Servo and Shift Kit
    BFG A/T 285s

Legend

My question for anyone is, if you have the dual cat set up on a suburban how will long tube headers work without having to completly redo the intermediate pipe? It would seem to me that it wouldnt be worth the money and cost to get new cats and have all that piping custom bent and new clamps.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast