GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Regional rust experiences?

In the northeast (NY) it seems pretty common for fuel and brake lines to rust, presumably the long term effect of road salt (and certainly not improved by driving on the beach in salt water, like I do). My '96 surb has had new brake lines, fuel tank, fuel lines and the fuel gauge sender thing-a-ma-bob in the tank all replaced. The frame itself is quickly deteriorating too. The front caliper bleeder nipples are down to useless little rust-nubbins. I'm told that this stuff is pretty common, or even usual up here on older trucks.

So here's my question: do the southern trucks, say VA or NC on south, rust this way? Any of you southern guys hear of replacing all the lines like this? If not, I'd be OK getting an older southern truck in good shape. If the rusted lines are pretty characteristic of all Surbs then it's not worth the bother and I'll go newer.

Any comments or experiences would be terrific. Thx,

-D

If you were to get one, from same here in La, you wouldn't have that problem. We don't used salf on our roads since they never ice. My 95 has only surface rust on the frame, nothing else.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

I think it can be very localized. And a heated garage is the worst thing ever to accelerate salt induced rust. We have huge rust problems here. I'm on the coast of Maine. DOT uses a ton of salt and liquid calcium. This spring I ended up doing all the lines on the Tahoe. Going to try to do the truck before winter. It's my primary plow truck, I can't afford to lose a storms plowing over a brake line.

Now, I bought the 81 well inland. Frame is solid as a rock on that thing. I think they don't use much salt up there. And it was somewhat of a driveway truck too.

I'm going to go to Nashville this fall to visit my brother. Definitely going to check out the old iron. Would love to find a nice 88-90 K30 with a TBI 454 and TH400
    Last edited by 2COR517; 06-29-2009 at 09:37 PM.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    I think it can be very localized. And a heated garage is the worst thing ever to accelerate salt induced rust. We have huge rust problems here. >>>snip<<<
    I've heard the same about a heated garage. Fortunately my truck has never seen the garage from the inside.
    Or a carwash either. for that matter.....

Sr. Apprentice

My 90 Sub has spent all 19 yrs in MN/ND and its definitely shown. Front fenders are fine. Rockers on both sides have deteriorated so bad that I'm just going to cut them off. Rear quarters and the frame on the last 1/3 of the truck are awful. This region doesn't use much salt, but sand and snow/ice that sticks around from November thru April are the killers.
    that rug really tied the room together, man.

i am the walrus. shut up donny.

Legend

I have lived in MN all my life for 32 years now, and neither myself or my parents have ever had a car get rust (except for a sundird for factory defect). We get just as much salt if not more then most snow states. I just run mine throught the carwash after EVERY major snow fall or ice coating when they dump salt and the liquid stuff on the road. And when we get a warm-up I always give the Beast a solid wash in the carwash and crawl underneath to hose it down. My parents have always had heated gargaes too and no problems.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    I have lived in MN all my life for 32 years now, and neither myself or my parents have ever had a car get rust (except for a sundird for factory defect). We get just as much salt if not more then most snow states. I just run mine throught the carwash after EVERY major snow fall or ice coating when they dump salt and the liquid stuff on the road. And when we get a warm-up I always give the Beast a solid wash in the carwash and crawl underneath to hose it down. My parents have always had heated gargaes too and no problems.
    Ha! Thats obviously one thing that has not been done with this rig!!
    I'm hoping that some time in a sand-blasting booth and some ArmaCoating will take care of the frame.

Jr. Apprentice

I would definitely say the wash after every good snow is critical. My dads truck sat for two years during the winter in Ohio. He had that undercoating applied to it. Used it mainly for towing his drag camaro around. After those two years where he didnt drive a 4 wheel drive truck in the winter, the entire undercarriage was rusted away. Complete mess. My 2 cents

10 years ago, they didn't salt where I live in Kentucky, but since we had a real whopper of a snowstorm in '04, now they salt if it even LOOKS like it's going to snow.

And the vehicles are starting to show the effects.

Mainly it's wheelwells and rockers, but I bet there's gonna be some rotten floorboards too, especially when folks track that salty muck into their vehicles, and I've seen plenty of that.

Me? I use those heavy duty rubber floor mats that hold lots of liquid (spills, etc.). Keeps that stuff from seeping through carpet & pad. Might even prevent rust. Who knew?

I think the majority of the problem is the beach salt on the coast. I'm in NE PA and we get rust issues due to salt but it doesn't seem THAT extreme. I have relatives in CA and they have SOME issues like that on the coast. I'm sure the road salt doesn't help. A good rinse now and then in the winter makes a big difference here.
    The diference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits.

2007 NBS Silverado
    LT2 Z71
    2.5" Levelling Kit
    Hood Stripes
    Chrome Grill
    GM Bed Liner & Tonno
    Dick Cepek Rims 18X9
    Hankook RF10 Tires 275/65/18
    De-Badged Tailgate

More Mods Coming