GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Electical issues after installing CB

I have a 2004 Silverado crew cab, 6-speed diesel. I installed a cb in the sunglass cubby. Power was tapped from the orange wire that supplies continuous power to the two map lights on the upper console and a dedicated ground was connected to the roof supports inside the headliner. Everything worked fine at first. After about a day I noticed that intermittantly the CB would loose power when the truck was shut off (it would reset to channel 1). I've heard there is some sort of "power save" function on the newer trucks so this was something that was acceptable to me. Then while I was driving my compass/thermometer in my rear view mirror went out, I pushed a button and it came back on, but as soon as I opened my door it went out and has not worked since. When this happened the Airbag light on my dash came on. I pulled the sunglass cubby and disconnected the cable connecting my CB and the map lights and all the conditions still existed. I did not see any pinched or bare wires when I had it apart. I disconnected both batteries for about 10 minutes in an effort to reset the computers. This had no affect on the situation. When I got in my truck this morning I noticed that the flappers in my A/C system no longer work. A/C is coming out through the floor vents and defrost vents reguarless of how I set the controls. Any ideas what may be causing these issues?

Check your codes. You will probably find a body control module code. You may have overtaxed the courtesy light circuit driver.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

I would run the power down to the fuse panel with a mini add a fuse adapter. I have always used this method when adding things to the truck or past cars and never had any issues.
    2008 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 4wd LT1 Package with 20" wheel upgrade,K&N CAI, Magnaflow Catback Dual Side Exit, Tuff Country 2" Leveling Kit, Blackbear Tune, 6k HIDS Low and High Beams, 3K HID fog lights, LED tailight bar

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    Check your codes. You will probably find a body control module code. You may have overtaxed the courtesy light circuit driver.
    Do you think that would fry the BCM or maybe it just needs to be reset?

I guess it would depend on which codes are in memory. Check it out and post the codes.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible