GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 87 Suburban brake controller Install

Hey guys, I'm about to purchase a Prodigy Brake controller to install on my Burb. What I wanna know is, is there an adapter I can get so I don't have to splice into the wireing or since the truck is so old, I'm just gonna have 2 splice into it?

Jr. Engineer

you're splicing my friend.... its honestly easy though

This Link tells you the wire colors and where to find them in the truck..its actually quite useful.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/1008.html

Good luck...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brake_control_wiring_diagram_500.jpg  

1993 K1500 Suburban 350TBI, 378,486KMS on frame, 49,000KMS on Drivetrain. Lots of mods, built for haulin trailers and haulin @$$ :)

2000 K2500 Yukon XL 6.0L Vortec 252000KMS custom CAI, and exhaust...but not done yet.

"If you are dumb enough to do something you don't know how to do, and can't do it safely then WHEN you get hurt its your own fault...BONEHEAD"

Yes, it is easy. I just installed one in my 89. The break pedal switch in mine was behind the panel under the steering wheel and it was in front of the pedal arm at top and I believe it was yellow. My control instruction told me what color it was.

B. :glasses:

1989 V1500 Suburban
    2001 Olds Silouette
    1999 chevy malibu
    1990 F**d E150 van
    2007 30ft gulfstream travel trailer

Make sure when you run your brake wire to the back, you use at least #12, #10 is better. And #10 or bigger for the charge wire. I don't know what you're planning to tow, but it's a good idea to use a relay for the charge wire. If you had a travel trailer, for example, you could use the batteries in the trailer with the truck off, and not drain the truck battery.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Ok cool thanks. I'll be towing an enclosed trailer 8.5x16x7. Does the relay come with the brake controller or do I have to go out and purchase that along with the extra wires? Thanks guys and I really appreciate the fast responces.

Jr. Engineer

buy it... usualy bout 7-10 bucks max

or steal it from the boneyard

1993 K1500 Suburban 350TBI, 378,486KMS on frame, 49,000KMS on Drivetrain. Lots of mods, built for haulin trailers and haulin @$$ :)

2000 K2500 Yukon XL 6.0L Vortec 252000KMS custom CAI, and exhaust...but not done yet.

"If you are dumb enough to do something you don't know how to do, and can't do it safely then WHEN you get hurt its your own fault...BONEHEAD"

Don't mess around with a used $10 part. Another thing you might want to do is get 2-3 feet of seven strand wire from a trailer dealer. Wire up your truck side plug to it on the bench. You can put some Fluid Film or dielectric grease on the terminals inside. Then seal it up well with some silicone. Now you have plenty of wire to make your connections, and you don't have to worry about your plug corroding.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.