GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default What Makes a Suburban Die? [Expired Topic]

I have a 96 Suburban, and last week she just started to die. The first time, I was sitting in traffic and she just shut off. I could turn the key and hear the starter, and I still had power. I waited a few minutes, and she started back up. Then, on my way home that night, she died again, but started back up. The next morning, I stopped at a stop sign, she dies, and doesn't want to start. I finally get her coasted off the road, and my husband comes to meet me. We wait a while, and she finally starts. We start back home, and as soon as I have to break for my daughter's school bus and I slow down to 30, boom, she dies. She also died twice trying to go up the hill we live on. If my hubby primes her, she'll start, but still wants to die. We replaced the fuel filter, but no luck. One mechanic says maybe fuel pump or sensor, but you can hear the fuel pump kick on. Any ideas out there before I sink a fortune into trial and error? I really miss driving my SUV! :!: Thanks for the help.

It only happens when you come to a stop? Try this, when you've got it running pretty good, when you come up to a stop sign/light, pull it out of gear (neutral) and leave it there until you're ready to go again. It sounds like your lockup torque converter may be going bad. when the torque converter won't unlock, as you slow down, it slows the engine down as well. When you get going too slow, it'll kill the engine.

It sounds like your fuel pump is getting weak or maybe your catalytic converter may be stopped up. How does the exhaust sound? How much is coming out the tail pipe?
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

tag

I also like OldDiesel's idea, but in that case the truck would be shuddering real bad just before it dies like a manual transmission vehicle would act if you didn't push in the clutch when you came to a stop. Is it doing something like this?

Former Member

another way to check if it is the torque converter is to un-plug the converter now I've done it on 700r4 trans and it still drives but your milage goes to pot and you will need to replace it sooner or later.Not sure where the plug is on that year but on my 94 it's on drivers side near the front.

Default What Makes a Suburban Die...

It doesn't shudder or anything, it just turns off. It's like if I reached down and turned the key off and switched it to auxilary power. No shudder, no noise, no lurching, nothing. The exhaust doesn't sound any different than normal, and there is nothing new or different coming out of it. When my husband pours gas in and primes the engine, she starts right up. It's weird. And there was nothing leading up to her doing this...she ran fine one day and started this the next. I appreciate all your help and ideas!

I'd replace the fuel pump.

fuel pump replace it.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

any updates on this?