GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default LED Daytime Running Lights

Anybody have these led running lights?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4114-...Q5fAccessories

Im interested but would love to hear about them if anyone has them. My main concern is that they won't be easily visible in the daytime.
    Thanks
    Michael, 17, CA

2005 Silverado - See my garage for my mod list
    :great:

Legend
    Blog Entries

Yeah I bought a set right before I sold my truck, they are still in the box and I never got a chance to put them in yet. I bought mine from Stylin Concepts, they are the Putco Pure 360 white bulbs. I am now going to use them in my S-10 for the DRL, so I will post them once I get them in the truck.

Just a little hint for you, the 4114L bulb is a 3157 but it's renamed because it's a long life bulb. I was running 3157 in the DRL in my last two trucks and never had a problem with them, you can run whatever color you want and it will be fine. The 3157 is a lower wattage by 4 watts/volts, so it's up to you as far as that goes. I noticed at the bottom of that post they said you can't use them in your flashers, you can use the 3157 LED but you have to use load resistors in line.

I guarantee if you google DRL bulb, you will come across a ton of people that are running 3157 in place of the 4114L. I found out by talking to the guy from Putco, and he said they have been running them like that for years.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

so would you think the bulbs from my first post are better than these more circular type bulbs?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-HID...A1%7C72%3A1171

and if I wanted to do my running lights and turn signals i would just buy two pairs of the 3157's and load resistors for the turn signals?

Legend
    Blog Entries

Honestly they look identical to the one's I bought for half the price, mine were $65.00 out the door which is a ton of money I know. I have never actually seen 4114 LED bulbs before, and I have looked everywhere! I am thinking that seller is putting a heading of 4114 on them, and in reality they are the 3157 bulbs. The setup you mentioned is what I was going to do, I just haven't ordered the amber 360 bulbs yet. I bought the load resistors already, they make two seperate kinds. Ceramic and aluminum, I asked the guy at Radio Shack and he told me the ceramic are ideal for LED's so that's what I went with. They were only $1.99 each, but as long as you have the load resistors and the new LED bulbs are LOWER wattage rating than the old bulbs you will be fine. I will see if I can find the pictures I found of them actually in a Silverado, be right back!

Here's a link to the Putco one's, you can see how bright they are!
    http://www.putco.com/product/LED_360_Replacement_Bulbs/

so do only flashing lights require load resistors? if all the other non-flashing bulbs are a direct plug and play i might slowly convert my whole truck over to led's

Legend
    Blog Entries

That is correct sir, if it is a stationary bulb the you don't need a load resistor. If it's a flasher or something that changes, then you need a load resistor in that instance. I finally found that thread for you, there are some awesome before and after and side by side pictures in this link. Check them out, oh and I forgot you can also put those 3157 LED bulbs in your tail lights for a really nice reverse light. I am slowly converting my trucks to LED but it's expensive, I wouldn't hesitate to say it would cost between $300-$400 if not more and that's the interior lights too.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...251&hl=LED+DRL

That other thread had some good pictures. Those are actually the same bulbs from the first ebay auction i posted. I'm definetly ordering a pair of these.

Thanks a ton!!
    Last edited by dsrtne1; 07-03-2009 at 11:10 PM.

Legend
    Blog Entries

That was the guy that helped me out, and he educated me on the whole situation as well. Those are the same bulbs as you found too, I think they are the same thing I bought for a lot cheaper price. I am always glad to help out, I will post mine once I get my current project done. They will look sweet on your truck too!

I'm actually thinking about going with the white ones for my turn signals too. i'm not sure though i'll have to think about it. I currently have white incandescents in my turn signals and I like the way they look. Although the white for turn signals may be too bright at night.

Legend
    Blog Entries

That would be crazy, I bet it would be like somebody flashing there headlights. Originally I was going to get red DRL bulbs, but I was afraid of getting stopped by a cop. I have also seen guys make a wiring "T" that connected the DRL and front turn signals together, that gives you one solid color that acts together making a really nice look. I was going to do that mod, until I looked at it closer and decided against it. The combined wattage was 55 watts, and that was going through 18 gauge factory wire. I would be scared of shorting something out, but it was an awesome mod for sure.

Remember if you do decide to change all of the bulbs over stay with the same brand, because the white LED vary in color. For example the one's your looking at have a cool blue look to them, and mine are almost pure white so if you mix them it would look funny. The amber bulbs are the same way, I had Silverstar turning signals mixed with stock ones and they were completely different. Jamm Straight also makes some sweet LED bulbs, I have a set of there Euro bulbs in my S-10 and they are still the original one's from 2001!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by