GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Change rear axle

What all would be involved in getting a 3/4 ton or 1 ton axle instead of 1/2 on a 95 chevy c1500 2wd truck? i run a 3:73 gear ratio on the 4L6E

Since the 3/4 and 1 ton axles use bigger brakes you'll need to change out the brake bias valve, I'd use an adjustable one like Summit sells. You can get away with retaining your master cylinder but at some point I'd recommend upgrading to a larger one.
    The shock mounts will need to be adjusted, possibly cut off and rewelded at a better angle.
    The spring plates are designed for a wider/thicker set of springs, so if your keeping the stock springs you need to adjust for the difference, If your putting on the heavier springs you need to weld in the bigger spring mounts on the frame.
    The driveshaft will need to be modified to accept a different size U-joint (Spicer recently released a new line of joints that act as adaptors check them out for your application).
    E-brake should be close to a bolt on affair.

Keep in mind if your doing this to increase the tow or load rating of your truck this wont suffice, the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have heavier frames, engine/trans mounts, and numerous other pieces. If the idea is to make your 1/2 ton into a 3/4 or better you'd be best off selling and buying the truck you want/need.

Jr. Engineer

im just gonna follow tbplus around today, and post "I AGREE" everywhere because he is taking the words out of my mouth.

You also have to remember pinion angle will change as well, and that will affect a lot of banging and grinding going on.

if you just want a little more payload, go with an adda a leaf, or a 1ton spring pack, or even airbags... but to change out the rear end like that is going to ring havoc on a lot of stuff... its a big can of worms.

1993 K1500 Suburban 350TBI, 378,486KMS on frame, 49,000KMS on Drivetrain. Lots of mods, built for haulin trailers and haulin @$$ :)

2000 K2500 Yukon XL 6.0L Vortec 252000KMS custom CAI, and exhaust...but not done yet.

"If you are dumb enough to do something you don't know how to do, and can't do it safely then WHEN you get hurt its your own fault...BONEHEAD"

You can find 14 bolt rearends on half tons sometimes. You get the bigger ring gear and stronger differential. Then you wouldn't have to get 8 lug wheels.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.