GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spare Tire

Default Spare Tire

Ok. I removed my spare to install my exhaust. I wasn't gonna put it back on but i'm sick of throw it in and outta the bed. So tonight i tired putting it back on. The retainer that holds the tire up won't come back down. The cable does but the retainer won't.

I took a quick look at the owners manual and it say something about not being able to store a spare until it's replaced??? WTF? Do i have to replace the hoist before i can put the spare back up there?

Or am i just missing something?

Jr. Engineer

so the cable moves but the actual u shaped thingy won't come down?

1993 K1500 Suburban 350TBI, 378,486KMS on frame, 49,000KMS on Drivetrain. Lots of mods, built for haulin trailers and haulin @$$ :)

2000 K2500 Yukon XL 6.0L Vortec 252000KMS custom CAI, and exhaust...but not done yet.

"If you are dumb enough to do something you don't know how to do, and can't do it safely then WHEN you get hurt its your own fault...BONEHEAD"

Yes sir.Come down about an inch and that's it. I even tried putting some weight on it.

Jr. Engineer

sounds like its just counter wrapped and jammed.... you might have to remove the whole assembly to get it going again, clean and lube it then re wrap it.

1993 K1500 Suburban 350TBI, 378,486KMS on frame, 49,000KMS on Drivetrain. Lots of mods, built for haulin trailers and haulin @$$ :)

2000 K2500 Yukon XL 6.0L Vortec 252000KMS custom CAI, and exhaust...but not done yet.

"If you are dumb enough to do something you don't know how to do, and can't do it safely then WHEN you get hurt its your own fault...BONEHEAD"

Quote Originally Posted by 04SilverChevy View Post
    Ok. I removed my spare to install my exhaust. I wasn't gonna put it back on but i'm sick of throw it in and outta the bed. So tonight i tired putting it back on. The retainer that holds the tire up won't come back down. The cable does but the retainer won't.

I took a quick look at the owners manual and it say something about not being able to store a spare until it's replaced??? WTF? Do i have to replace the hoist before i can put the spare back up there?

Or am i just missing something?
    Owners manual will tell you how to get it down( use the jack etc. etc.) ,a real pain in the a**. Just get under the truck and you can stick your fingers up inside and push the release tabs together. Its made this way to prevent tire from releasing by accedent????, thats what the dealer told me.

Ok ill have to give it another try tomorrow. Thanks guys. I had hoping that i didn't have to replace the damn thing.

Got it. There was a release on the cylinder part of the retainer that you had to push into to release it.

Got another quick question... the exhaust is about a pinky(finger) width away from the exhaust.. ya'll don't think it'll get hot enough to mess the tire up do ya?
    Last edited by 04SilverChevy; 07-06-2009 at 05:37 PM.

That is why I stayed away from the duals. Too close IMO. May want to try a size smaller spare.

Screw it. I really don't plan on using it anyways.. just need it outta the way. I have AAA and road hazard on my new tires lol.

OK this answers one of my previous posts on your earlier thread. The exhaust still looks good though!
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast