GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default fuel injection pump [Expired Topic]

On this 84 Suburban I am buying that needs a fuel injector pump... the one on my 88 is working fine. How hard is it for a backyard mechanic to switch it from one vehicle to another? Or is it more fesible to change the entire engine. ...just curious if anyone has an idea.
    Thanks

Jr. Engineer

Is one of those Burbs diesel and one Gas? I would expect that it will make a difference.

Changing out the fuel pump isn't so hard, as long as you've drained your tank, but you still may wish to have a helper handy when putting the tank back in place. Um....Just re-read....
    Your 84 needs an injector pump? That would have been a carb engine. In which case the pump is probably on the block. or is the 84 a diesel? I'm just curious why you would consider going from changing a fuel pump out to the extreme of swapping engines? That's a huge amount of work by comparison.

Your right the injuector pump is up on the block. The previous owner stated that he was told that is why it won't start. He claims they told him 1000.00 to replace it. And yes the two burbs are both diesel so I figured we could take it off our 88 and put it on the 84 as it is in better condition that our 88. But if its a BIG deal to do that or if it is not something a backyard mechanic should try I wanted to know ahead of time. It's not a fuel pump, its a fuel injector pump located between the cylinder heads and again they are bother diesel.

I have changed a couple. I think it's fairly straight forward. Do you have any reference material i.e. shop manuals etc?

Basically make sure to note where the timing mark on the injection pump housing in the truck with the bad injection pump is set. It is located on the top of the injection pump flange and the block is marked on the top of the cooresponding ridge in the block that the inj pmp mates to. You want to set the replacement pump in the same position as a starting point for injection timing.

To get to the pump you need to remove the intake manifold. Clearly mark the injection lines as to which cylinder they serve, and where they are connected to the injection pump. It is actually possible to switch a couple of them. To bet to the nut on the gear drive you remove the Oil filler neck and look back towards the inj pmp.

Be careful work slow and I would also replace the valve cover gaskets/rtv while you have the lines off. Don't forget there is actually a gasket between the Inj pmp and the block.

Use the air bound inj pmp staring method when you go to start it back up.

I have lots of reference material if you need a couple of pages I could pdf some to you.

You should probably have your injection pump timing set after you get it running.
    99 Chevy Sub K2500 4x4 6.5TD, 4L80E
    86 Chevy K30 P/U 4x4, 6.2D, TH400
    77 Chevy Sub K1500 4x4 400(TBI),700R4,10/14FF rear discs
    59 Jeep CJ5 (97 TJ running gear)

Default Help with fuel injector pump question

Thanks so much for your words of wisdom..... dang thing is wierd. When we bought it we thought it would be a parts truck for our 88 Burb because the previous owner stated the pump was bad and it wouldn't start, he left it sitting for a year. My husband started playing with it and got it to run. Only thing it now is a very rough jumpy idle and it is smoking really bad. We figured it was time for a mechanic to look it over. He thinks perhaps the fuel (being it sat so long) is the culprit. We hope the injuecotr pump is fine for now but if not I may have to take you up on theservice pdf. We have one manual the prev. owner sent but its very old. I take it we would need to have a mechanic do the timing if it got to the point of replacing the pump?
    thanks again

The fuel may indeed be causing problems. Regarding changing of the Inj pmp - I neglected to mention what are probably obvious steps, such as good cleanliness i.e. remove debris from fittings before diss-assembly, etc. , also covering any openings in the fuel system with baggies and rubber bands to prevent mositure and dirt from entering, things like that. Frankly some people do not have the timing checked/adjusted if the engine operates properly after the inj pmp change. But depending on your point of view, the "most correct" way to do it would be to have the timing checked by an experienced diesel mechanic with the proper diesel timing device.
    99 Chevy Sub K2500 4x4 6.5TD, 4L80E
    86 Chevy K30 P/U 4x4, 6.2D, TH400
    77 Chevy Sub K1500 4x4 400(TBI),700R4,10/14FF rear discs
    59 Jeep CJ5 (97 TJ running gear)

thanks again, still haven't heard from the mechanic so I am not sure what he found. Will keep ya posted and have a great Holiday Weekend