GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Mechanic

Default Chevy Duramax MPG - Diesel mpg?

I just recently purchased a 2005 duramax 4x4 with about 65000mi. I believe that it is the 6.6l turbo. It has a few up grades like a k&n cold air intake and a banks monster muffler. It seem to be getting about 15mpg. And I donít think that is very good but I am not sure.

So I decide to run some lucus oil through to see if that may help but I have not run that tank out yet. Is there something else that I may need to check on the truck that could be causing the lack of mpgs? Or is this possibly as good as it gets?
    2003 Avalanche 4x4 with cladding 110k miles +, K&N stock replacement air filter, Skyjacker 8000 shocks, Hawks LTS pads, Summit Racing brand drilled and sloted rotors, Sylvania ZXE high & low beams, leveling kit, 285/70/r17 Michelin M/S

2. Likes ChevyFan liked this post

That's about what I get around town in my 04.5 that I'm trying to sell, which is the same engine as yours. I can get up to 21 mpg on the interstate though. Of course mine also has a Banks Six-gun on it too.
    Joseph

Airforce Veteran (7 years)

NRA Life Member

15-20 is about normal for the Duramax LLY motor. Do you have your foot in it a lot? I know if this is your first diesel that you probably do like all others enjoying the power. What size tires are you running?

If want to keep the truck running with no problems ditch the K&N filter. It is the worst thing you could have on a turbo diesel and will wear out the fins on the turbo. Also Lucas oil products are junk and I do not suggest you use them. If you really want to boost up your MPG all you need to do is exhaust from the downpipe back and a tuner. EFI Live is the best on the market but not for beginners. PPE or edge are also good choices.

If you want a good air filter send me the part number off that K&N and I will cross refrence it and hook you up with a AMSOIL EA filter that will offer much better protection.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Legend

my uncle can get over 24 mpg all day long on his 05
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Jr. Mechanic

I am running 285/75/16 bfg at's. The part number off the k&n air filter is F041A12. I do need a new one because the fins on the air filter are messed up. This is my first diesel so I do think that my foot may have some to do with the mileage. Thanks alot for all of your insight!

Where would be a good place to purchase the PPE or edge products or maybe even the banks six gun? Seeing how I already have the banks monster muffler.

Quote Originally Posted by freddie View Post
    I am running 285/75/16 bfg at's. The part number off the k&n air filter is F041A12. I do need a new one because the fins on the air filter are messed up. This is my first diesel so I do think that my foot may have some to do with the mileage. Thanks alot for all of your insight!

Where would be a good place to purchase the PPE or edge products or maybe even the banks six gun? Seeing how I already have the banks monster muffler.

I'm not finding that number F041A12, even on K&N's site. Can you send me or post a picture of the filter? Is it cone style?

Look at AMSOIL's universal filters here. click on See detailed EaAU specifications and photos and see if one matches yours.

I'd get the EDGE race it is one of the best out there. I have the Edge Juice with attitude and like it, but would like to go to the race.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina or really in a little town called Socastee

Got 05 and we get about 18-21 riding around and about 13-15 towing

GM Crate 350 w/Summit Racing Performance headers
    flowmaster super 40
    60 series tires
    16' polished alluminum rims
    New Interior

Default Your foot needs to get used to the diesel

if you are new to the turbo diesel platform ... you'll find that you almost need to re-learn how to accelerate. I'm sure by now you have realized that if you slam it to the floor, the response is a lot different than with a gas V8.
    let the boost do the work. The old "act like there's an egg under the pedal' works well. I tried to keep my boost levels low and see what impact it had on mileage ... it was huge. Ease into the gas and let the turbo do the work. If you mash it, you might as well have a hole in the tank.
    Brian / BigPapa

2008 Silverado 2500 HD
    Duramax/Allison
    6" Tuff Country Lift
    35" Toyo M/Ts
    20" Ultra Wheels
    Edge Juice w/ Attitude Controller (Hot Unlock)
    AFE Stage II intake
    AirLift Rear AirSpring System
    Touch-screen audio/dvd with JL Sub

look into the 6 gun from banks. Great products. Also a light pedal is always good for the mileage
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

sct also makes great programmers.
    1997 Chevy K3500
    4x4 X-Cab Dually
    454 Dual Exhaust

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by