GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default 2003 Z71 Sub shocks

I've to replace the shocks on my z71. I googled and searched this forum but haven't found the answer to this.....How to tell if my z71 has Autoride suspension and self leveling. I presume I can climb under and look for the sensors. I really don't want to pay for OEM shocks and did read the post by Jacqson on disabling your Autoride. Anyone know how to check? Also is self-leveling a secondary feature? Does it interfere with shock replacement? Thanks friends!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gaborn73 View Post
    I've to replace the shocks on my z71. I googled and searched this forum but haven't found the answer to this.....How to tell if my z71 has Autoride suspension and self leveling. I presume I can climb under and look for the sensors. I really don't want to pay for OEM shocks and did read the post by Jacqson on disabling your Autoride. Anyone know how to check? Also is self-leveling a secondary feature? Does it interfere with shock replacement? Thanks friends!
    I would just take it to the dealer to ask them if your model is equipped with the autoride and self leveling acessories and if it is ask them how to disable the features to allow for aftermarket shocks.

2003 Silverado 1500
    V8 4.8L 294ci
    2 inch Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    3 inch Rough Country Lift
    33 inch Nitto Terra Grapplers
    5% Tint All Around
    2 12" Kenwoods

im pretty sure since it is a Z71 it is not autoride. I think the autoride trucks have it marked on the little badge on the C-pillar of the car that usually says LT or SLT or whatever with autoride under it. I would look into a set of Bilstein 5100's or Rancho RS9000XL shocks
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

My wifes escalade has the auto ride suspension and auto leveling when you start it you can actually hear the compressor puting air into the shocks and can see it rise alittle.maybe hers leaks I dont know but if you have the auto leveling I am sure you would hear that compressor from time to time.
    2000 Silverado Z71 Whipple Supercharger, JBA Headers,3" cat back Flowmaster Exhaust, Volant cai, Pioneer Preimer deck,Orion subwoofer,03 signal light mirrors,03 taililghts

Quote Originally Posted by gaborn73 View Post
    Look at the sticker in your glove box and check for RPO Z55. If you don't have that RPO then you do not have Autoride. And, Yes, you can have the load leveling feature without the Autoride. Also, another way is to check the shock itself. If it has a wire coming out of it at the top of the shock then it is an Autoride shock.
    2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD, Dmax/Allison, Taupe Gray Metallic, Line-x over the Rail & Rockers, S&B Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust, Rigid Dually D2's, Cognito Leveling Kit, Cognito Steering Braces plus much more.

"Suburban" There is no Substitute.:great:

SOLD - My Loaded up 02 2500 Suburban.

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqson View Post
    Look at the sticker in your glove box and check for RPO Z55. If you don't have that RPO then you do not have Autoride. And, Yes, you can have the load leveling feature without the Autoride. Also, another way is to check the shock itself. If it has a wire coming out of it at the top of the shock then it is an Autoride shock.
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate your feeback.
    That's exactly what I did. I finally got a moment to crawl underneath (my wife drives it right now) and no wires. I was a bit concerned about the added stiffness from the Bilsteins HD and I need the shocks this week before we go on vacation. Yeah I waited until the last moment. I ended up with Monroe Sensa-Tracs b/c its a pavement driver. It sees the OBX once a year and we're not hill climbing in it.
    Thanks again everyone! Enjoy summer!

good choice on shocks, Monroe makes a great shocks

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)