GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

View Poll Results: How do you change your oil?

Voters
303. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do it yourself

211 69.64%
  • Quicky Lube (Lube only shop)

31 10.23%
  • Dealer or your mechanic

65 21.45%
  • What? The oil has to be changed?

4 1.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Before I had a shared garage with my dad I used to always take my vehicle's to a shop/quick lube to get the oil changed. Now I do it myself. It is so much cheaper and I don't trust people. Especially the quick lube places that like to spray paint the oil pan for some stupid reason. I use Castrol GTX 5w30 in my Cobalt with Mobil 1 oil filtres. In the diesel I had, I used what ever was the cheapest. And then I also don't get the places trying to upselling me stuff I don't really need.

Will be taking truck to dealer for the first few changes, don't have a place now to do any work. A quickie lube in Dallas forgot the drain plug to my Aunts car and had to get a Lawyer to help them understand she wanted a new engine instead of a used one as a replacement
    2012 4.8 LS

Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-30 with a Fram filter. I Always do it myself since I dedicate a day to maintenance and other projects or customizations I want to make. Its actually more of an inconvenience for me to take my truck to a shop and wait for it since I live out in the country.
    Adam
    2004.5 CCSB Duramax
    Max Effort Tuning by Idaho Rob - Goerend Transmission - PCV ReRoute - EGR Blocked - Plugged Resonator - 5" Diamond Eye Turbo Back - Tie Rod Sleeves - All On Mod - Edge Insight CTS - Recon Taillights, Cab Lights, & 3rd Brake Light

I use the dealership. I don't have the time anymore, plus I get Mobil 1, rotate and a wash for $59.00.

Quote Originally Posted by napadave View Post
    I use the dealership. I don't have the time anymore, plus I get Mobil 1, rotate and a wash for $59.00.
    Pretty good deal if you are actually getting Mobil1
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Do mine myself at my work since I do work at one of those quick lane places. mobil 1 5w30 with a ACdelco filter which is the same price as a fram or
    similar.

Been doing it myself for a few years now

somewhere in the Pine Barrens in the not so great state of NJ

My son used to work at a Chevy dealer about 5 minutes from where I work, had him do it on my lunch hour.
    $5 bucks for the filter and bought him lunch. Now he works in the opposite direction, so I either have it done by my other son in the driveway or do it myself. The worst part is having to bring the old oil to the town. But, better then trusting some kid I don't know do it. Try to get it done at 3000 miles, but sometimes it goes over due to weather.
    The S10 is coming up on 249,000 miles. It doesn't owe me a dime. I just want to see how far it will go. Knock on wood, never had to do anything other then normal maintenance on it.

Been doing it myself for the life of my truck. I change the oil about every 3,000 but I don't worry if I can't get to it and it goes 4k or 5k before a change. I still used regular, conventional oil - nothing special.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Do it myself with AC filter and synthetic oil (Lately I've been using Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30.) every 5k miles. If you do it yourself you know what was put in the crankcase and it gives you a chance to look things over under the truck. Sometime I wonder how many people pay for an expensive syn and the quickie lube place fills her up with bulk conventional?
    2013 Silverado Z71 LT

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast