GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default wtf... i don't get it

ok, dimming... well more like flickering of the lights is the problem, interior as well as exterior lights, I can't drive for like 10, or 15 min, and then my lights start to flicker, turn off and back on, goes away for a lil' bit then comes back again, thought it may be alternator, but why would it only lag when the truck has been on for a lil' bit, if I speed up or slow down it doesn't fix the prob. or change it at all, however I did realize that a few weeks ago, was driving my truck in sand, kinda got stuck cause it was soft, anywayz, but in 4 low, and engine ofcoarse got hot, how ever, I also notice on my voltmeter that it was only reading about 11-12 volts, restarted truck, and meter read 14, then after driving for a few minutes, lights start flickering again, no loss in motor power that I can feel, or a/c or anything, not sound system installed... I'm white, also sometimes it still flickers and the meter will be reading 14 volts still, so I don't no what the hell is going on, getting irratating thoug, thats for sure... any help would be greatly appreciated, also, how hard is it to replace steering gear box - prob. about to do tackle that job.... thanks
    1998 Sierra Ext. Cab Z71
    Projector headlights
    Flow Master 40 Series Delta Flow w/ Dual Exhaust
    2" suspenion lift
    camo vynil trim
    camo Z71 decals
    soon to be new tires and rims, and possibly wheel spacers and
    throttle body spacer
    From Oklahoma, Currently in VA.... VA sucks by the way....

it could possibly be the alternator. One of the windings in the armature might be broken, causing an intermittent voltage fluctuation. What harm could it do to take it to Auto Zone & have it tested?
    You're driving is WAY more offensive than my swearing, assjack!!!

check for bad/loose wiring.
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

it is prolly the alternator the reason it doesnt stop at higher rpms is bc alternaors keep a constant amperage so reving the engine will give u a little bit more power but not enough to make a difference like it does on like 60s trucks which still had generators that do fluctuate in amperage
    2008 chevy silverado single cab short bed 4.3
    1960 chevy apache 10 single cab short bed 3.9
    1986 chevy 1 ton flatbed 5.7 (deceased)
    1990 suburban regency edition 5.7 (sold

I can't answer with all the possibilities but, that sounds just like a bad relay.........it gets hot and shuts down then when it cools it comes right back until it gets hot again.........Motor temp or rpm would make no effect...
    The diference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits.

2007 NBS Silverado
    LT2 Z71
    2.5" Levelling Kit
    Hood Stripes
    Chrome Grill
    GM Bed Liner & Tonno
    Dick Cepek Rims 18X9
    Hankook RF10 Tires 275/65/18
    De-Badged Tailgate

More Mods Coming

Your alternator is easy to test with a volt meter. The key is to turn all the accessories to load it up. Then run the engine at 2K to measure your max output. Also check your battery. Turn your headlights on for 30 seconds then turn them off. Read the voltage. It should be more than 12.4. If not you have a bad or undercharged battery.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible