GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question i need help with my trailer wiring

OK so my brown (Right hand stop, turn) lights on my light bar stopped working. i figured it was just the way i spliced the wires (i made the mistake of using wire nuts and electrical tape. Now my right stop/turn wire doesnt work. I took apart the splice and tried the end of the wire that comes from the front of the truck and that doesnt show up on a test light. I checked the fuse (at least the fuse under the hood that the owners manual told me was the right one) and i still have no power to that wire. Since i spliced into it i voided the warranty on that part of the truck... any suggestions on what to try next or how to run a new trailer wires all the way to the outlet on the back of the truck? i dont think that there is a pigtail anywhere i believe that this come fron the fuse box (feel free to correct me if im wrong). I am going on a trip with my camper in 2 weeks so fixing this issue is at the top of my list. thanks for the help
    -Nick
    2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 LT, Z71 Appearance Package, Vortec 5.3L AFM
    Victory Red, Ebony Cloth
    Custom pin striping, Bed Rail Protectors, GM Bed Liner, Husky Liner Floor Liners, Tint, Wade In-Channel Window Visors, Tractor Supply Black Low Profile Toolbox

Double check your fuses. I don't have a wiring diagram for an 09 but I if it was working until you splices it I would bet you have a blown fuse.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Well, brown is usually taillights. Doesn't your truck have a trailer light connector near the receive hitch? Why didn't you just plug into that?
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Does the signal light at the front still work? If not, then a blown fuse is likely. If it still works you need to isolate where you are losing current. I'd start at the factory trailer connector. GM has provided a trailer connector since 2003. Look for it on the drivers side frame near the rear bumper. It will look something like this:

Close up of the connector:

You can get a trailer harness that plugs into the factory connector.
    Pics courtesy of etrailer.com
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Legend
    Blog Entries

I have always bought that plug-n-play connector for all of my line of fires on my trucks, it ran me $38 at Summit Racing but it was worth it having piece of mind. Well hopefully you find out the problem, but if not you could always get that harness through CURTIS.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    Well, brown is usually taillights. Doesn't your truck have a trailer light connector near the receive hitch? Why didn't you just plug into that?
    the reason i didnt go to the connector is because on the NBS they put the plug next to the license plate and i thought it would look tacky with a 7 to 4 prong adapter plugged in sticking out so i wired it up under the truck and tucked everything up real nice with zip ties.
    -Nick
    Victory Red, Ebony Cloth
    Custom pin striping, Bed Rail Protectors, GM Bed Liner, Husky Liner Floor Liners, Tint, Wade In-Channel Window Visors, Tractor Supply Black Low Profile Toolbox

i sure hope you figure it out. this same thing happened on my old silverado and totally screwed the whole lighting sytem up. like my blinkers wont work it my head lights are on and my tailight wont work if my head lights are on. all kinda of crap but it was on a much older truck. hopefully you will get it worked out bc anything come of it. Good luck.
    Lawrence Lee,United States Navy, Engineering.
    2008 Silverado CC. Z71 4x4. leveling kit on with exhaust hopefully putting on soon

Unhappy so far....no luck

ive been under my truck all day trying to figure this out. I changed the fuse, no luck. i also tried following the wire back to the fuse box to see if there is a connector somewhere and there isnt. and as far as what "unplugged" offered, my plug at the bumper isnt the problem, its the wire itself. and amy, im not exactly sure what the brown wire is but when u splice it down to a flat 4-prong plug is controls the right stop/turn lamp. so all in all my brown wire is failing on the trailer adapter and its not the fuse of the plug itself.

Any more ideas?
    -Nick
    Victory Red, Ebony Cloth

Right turn signal is usually Green

Left turn signal is usually Yellow

Tail / running lights usually Brown

Ground = Black

four wire system

http://www.accessconnect.com/trailer_wiring_diagram.htm
    1958 Chevrolet Apache Fleetside Longbed .. 350 with a turbo 350 tranny
    2010 Silverado LTZ 4X4 Z71

Quote Originally Posted by gatormike69 View Post
    Right turn signal is usually Green

Left turn signal is usually Yellow

Tail / running lights usually Brown

Ground = Black

four wire system

http://www.accessconnect.com/trailer_wiring_diagram.htm

i understand all that, what im saying is i hooked up a 4 wire connector to the 7 wire, all i did was match the colors. Now im having issues with the BROWN wire on both plugs. It IS NOT the plugs themselves but the wires. On the 7 wire system what does the brown wire usually control? Maybe im checking the wrong fuse.
    -Nick
    Victory Red, Ebony Cloth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast