GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by denoje13 View Post
    I am more interested in what to do with the factory cd player hole for a 1998 silverado. I dont want it to look rigged together. Is there a kit for just installing a color mached blank?
    the factory one that you ccan buy to fill that CD slot has a thin felt lining on it so stuff wont rattle in there, I think i just ordered mine from the dealership, it was pretty cheap I know that.

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by csltrains96 View Post
    Ok, so a CD player won't fit in that spot. How about one of these new "mechless" media receivers? Just a radio with a USB port, and an iPod/Zune control hookup?

Also, my factory radio is giving me alternator whine. If I end up keeping it - where would be the best place to look for what is causing this? You used to be able to buy a capacitor at Radio Shack that you would connect between the power wire to the radio and the ground. This was supposed to shunt the alternator "AC" signal that was coming through the DC power wire to ground, eliminating the whine. Can you still do this in the '89?

Thanks
    As for your engine whine in the radio, being that it is factory and that your truck is pretty old, you most likely have an exposed wire somewhere. It doesnt have to be an actual radio wire either, it could be one of the battery wires under the hood as well. And no there is no radio at all other then a factory one to go up by the intrument panel on your truck. really your only option is to get the kit to mount it under the A/C vents and then order the little cubby/shelf that can go were teh radio controls currently are.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Crawdaddy and vncj96 - thanks for your input. One can always hope that something better will come along and fit in that spot. The factory radio for those years just doesn't do much for me these days. I don't have a huge cassette collection anymore thanks to CDs and MP3s, and that setup just isn't aftermarket friendly.

Thanks again
    csltrains96
    Myself, my beautiful wife
    3 - boys
    3 - minivans
    1 - '89 Chevy K2500 Silverado Truck
    1 - 27 foot travel trailer
    Not enough family time!

hope you can find a hook up for 99-02 silverado's since im looking for a dd head unit although it is a lot of work to put in a dd in an 02 (ps, we still have the 1.5 din)
    2002 silverado ext. loaded white 4x4

ditto on the 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by denoje13 View Post
    I am more interested in what to do with the factory cd player hole for a 1998 silverado. I dont want it to look rigged together. Is there a kit for just installing a color mached blank?
    Either that or you can leave it there. My 96 just has 2 cd players, but the stock one isnt connected.
    Schrub!:sign0011:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12