GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Chevy Silverado Stereo Replacement

I've seen a lot of talk recently from folks that are looking to install a new double-height stereo head-unit in their 1990's Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra, Chevy Suburban and Chevy Tahoes.

The purpose of this thread is to introduce you to an aftermarket service provider that can supply you with a quality conversion kit that's made-in-the-USA, durable, designed-to-fit and well thought out to solve your problem.

Let's face it, factory stereos go out, they fail and stop working proply after a number of years. When it's time to upgrade you need to get a conversion kit. The 1995 - 1999 Chevy Silverado trucks hold a din and a half (three inch - 3") stereo, while all the newest cool stereos are the full double-din.

Who's interested in getting a full-height stereo in their 1995-1999 Chevy Silverado? Let me know and I can hook you up.

Anyone have any questions? Please PM me and I can hook you up with a good vendor. Maybe one day they will help advertise on here.

Chevy Stereo Installation Keywords:
    1995 Chevy Silverado Stereo Installation
    1996 Chevy Silverado Stereo Installation
    1997 Chevy Silverado Stereo Installation
    1998 Chevy Silverado Stereo Installation
    1999 Chevy Silverado Stereo Installation
    1995 Chevy Suburban Stereo Installation
    1996 Chevy Suburban Stereo Installation
    1997 Chevy Suburban Stereo Installation
    1998 Chevy Suburban Stereo Installation
    1999 Chevy Suburban Stereo Installation

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Jr. Apprentice

Is it possible to drop a newer facroty delphi unit (2006 H2 6 disc changer unit for example) into my 2003 silverado? just curious, seems like i can get those units pretty cheap on ebay, and i'd rather stay with a gm factory unit that an aftermarket one.
    WV - 2003 Silverado
    Coal....it keeps the lights on.

Quote Originally Posted by jsegs02 View Post
    Is it possible to drop a newer facroty delphi unit (2006 H2 6 disc changer unit for example) into my 2003 silverado? just curious, seems like i can get those units pretty cheap on ebay, and i'd rather stay with a gm factory unit that an aftermarket one.
    yeah, all you have to do is get it unlocked at the dealer if it is locked

I am more interested in what to do with the factory cd player hole for a 1998 silverado. I dont want it to look rigged together. Is there a kit for just installing a color mached blank?
    Jesse DeNoyer
    1998 Silverado Z71
    5.7 350 4L60E 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by denoje13 View Post
    I am more interested in what to do with the factory cd player hole for a 1998 silverado. I dont want it to look rigged together. Is there a kit for just installing a color mached blank?
    Are you asking about the Blank spot where the Factory Single C/D player went??.....If so there is a Cubby pocket you can buy....to go in that spot..

Link to Cubby pocket,
    http://visual-efex-llc.amazonwebstor...B000K4YO6W.htm

You can also pickup the Cubby pocket,At the....C/K Resto......G.M. Parts Direct....for around.....$20.00/$25.00....

Below is another Cubby Pocket that I installed in my Truck, in place of the Factory C/D Player.....The G.M. Part number is # 15958734.

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 04-20-2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

I've been looking for a way to replace the factory radio in my '89 Silverado. Does anybody make a radio to go into the spot where the AM/FM/Volume controls are in the dash of an '89 Silverado? And I don't mean in the center of the console under the A/C vents. I would like to get a radio that goes next to the gauge cluster right above the heat/AC controls. Any info out there? Thanks.

Hey Steve, I have 1996 Tahoe and I am interested in double din. What info do you have?

Looks like a lot of people are interested in this ... lets get a vendor on this.

Quote Originally Posted by csltrains96 View Post
    I've been looking for a way to replace the factory radio in my '89 Silverado. Does anybody make a radio to go into the spot where the AM/FM/Volume controls are in the dash of an '89 Silverado? And I don't mean in the center of the console under the A/C vents. I would like to get a radio that goes next to the gauge cluster right above the heat/AC controls. Any info out there? Thanks.
    I know this is kind of old at this point, but you're not likely going to see this. The width available in that spot is not wide enough to get a CD player mechanism in. Generally the radio makers stick with the DIN form-factor, which is the typical size aftermarket radio you see. The DIN form factor was developed partially from the space typically allowed by the OEM holes in the dash and the DIN form factor is about as small a space as you can fit all the required components in.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Ok, so a CD player won't fit in that spot. How about one of these new "mechless" media receivers? Just a radio with a USB port, and an iPod/Zune control hookup?

Also, my factory radio is giving me alternator whine. If I end up keeping it - where would be the best place to look for what is causing this? You used to be able to buy a capacitor at Radio Shack that you would connect between the power wire to the radio and the ground. This was supposed to shunt the alternator "AC" signal that was coming through the DC power wire to ground, eliminating the whine. Can you still do this in the '89?

Thanks
    csltrains96
    Myself, my beautiful wife
    3 - boys
    3 - minivans
    1 - '89 Chevy K2500 Silverado Truck
    1 - 27 foot travel trailer
    Not enough family time!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by