GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default I'm in trouble now! Picking up an '02 Tahoe Monday

I finally found an '02 Tahoe I liked. It's an "02 Tahoe with a 5.3 in it. I'm going to be towing a 3700# boat.
    Jeez, I Googled performance parts for the Tahoe and was overwhelmed. I figured I would start with a K&N filter but found a bunch of different brands. Is there much difference in performance between a drop-in K&N filter and a cold air system? What's the best brand?
    I'd also like to put a chip in it, but wouldn't know the first thing about all the settings on the ones I saw.
    What are some of the reputable websites for these things? Thanks!

Welcome and good luck.

You may try hypertech for a chip but you may be able to use a programmer.

Summit or Jegs are good sites for parts...

Hope this helps
    John

06 Red GMC 4X4 CrewCab 4.8L
    MagnaFlow Muffler
    Lubed by AMSOIL...

Legend
    Blog Entries

I don't know where you live at, but what I always do is go to a bigger car show where the big vendors are going to be, and then I talk to the manufacturers in person and get first hand info that way. Jet makes piggy-back PCM modules that require no splicing or programming, they adjust with the vehicle running through a learn cycle. It took about 500 miles on my friends truck, but you can definately tell a difference. Good luck with your new truck!
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Congrats!!! Almost any CAI will be better than only replacing the filter. There are a lot out there, But I have been looking for testing results and have not found any yet!
    The diference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits.

2007 NBS Silverado
    LT2 Z71
    2.5" Levelling Kit
    Hood Stripes
    Chrome Grill
    GM Bed Liner & Tonno
    Dick Cepek Rims 18X9
    Hankook RF10 Tires 275/65/18
    De-Badged Tailgate

More Mods Coming

Quote Originally Posted by bruceb3 View Post
    I finally found an '02 Tahoe I liked. It's an "02 Tahoe with a 5.3 in it. I'm going to be towing a 3700# boat.
    Jeez, I Googled performance parts for the Tahoe and was overwhelmed. I figured I would start with a K&N filter but found a bunch of different brands. Is there much difference in performance between a drop-in K&N filter and a cold air system? What's the best brand?
    I'd also like to put a chip in it, but wouldn't know the first thing about all the settings on the ones I saw.
    What are some of the reputable websites for these things? Thanks!
    I've run my '00 Tahoe 5.3L with a drop in K&N since new, now at 103K miles and it's worked fine the whole time. I cannot say however that it made much of a difference in performance.

A whole cold air system, may however, give you some improvement in overall performance, but others will give you their opinion on that change. Good luck with it!

go with technology i ran those oil your self filters for years and no matter how much p/m i did those filtrs alway dusted my intake system granted not to bad but any is bad in my book look into a dry filters ive been running a volant for aa while now and the filtering is very good and it still flows as good as oil soaked gauze u can actually see through.... really pin holes all over million miles my ass

99 tahoe 2 dr. 4x4 7.4 4L80-e NP246, SAS, dana 60 hp, sterling 10.5 rear, gibson headers, and alot of tricks of the trade !!!!!!IF YOU'RE NOT CHEATING YOUR NOT TRYING!!!!!!!!

From what I've learned recently about chips and programmers isn't quite making sense to me... What is the difference?
    KYLE

Washington
    2002 Chevy Tahoe Z71 5.3L V8
    Diablosport Performance Programmer
    6" Tuff Country Lift, 20" Ultra's, 35" TOYO Open Country A/T's
    Jet Performance TBS, K&N Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust

BLACK BETTY

chips are usually fixed programs and tuners let you customize within the limits of whats safe for the truck

Cool Im in trouble now Picking up a 02 Tahoe

Ive had both K&N stock replacement and differant CAI kits. I think the biggest advantage to CAIs is that they eleminate the baffles and some of the turns in the intake which give the better throttle response. As far as the stock replacement type K&Ns, GM had several differant airboxes and Ive seen customers come in our shop with the wrong filter someone sold them. Some of the K&Ns give you a seal for the stock airbox and the people would not put the seal in, letting dust and dirt in. Look on your stock airbox for the A/C Delco filter # and then you can cross referance this with the filter company you decide to use. If you go with a CAI check the mounting clamps when you change your oil as these clamps loosen because of engine movement. As far as programmers or tuners, I think thats depends on what your looking for. With programmers such as Diablo and SCT you can fine tune there tunes that come installed from them. Custom tunes work,but you have to buy a core or send in your ECM and if you want to make a change you send it back. Ive had Superchips,Hypertech and Diablo. I like the Diablo because of the fine tune ability and I picked up 2MPG both city and highway in my 05, 5.3 lifted Z-71 crewcab.

Sr. Engineer
    Blog Entries

The Trifecta Performance Advantage

No PCM removal necessary, no disassembly required
    No hassle - no PCM shipping, no vehicle downtime
    No expensive hand-helds that collect dust after being used once
    Remote tuning and data logging supported on all 1996+ GM vehicles

www.trifectaperformance.com

Tell Vince, TomsHHR Sent you
    2009 Chevy Sliverado Std cab 5.3, 4 speed Auto 2wd, Trifecta Tuned
    1926 Model T Bucket powered by Chevy LS 5.3 TH350 and S-10 rear axle Build period Sept 7, 2010 to April 2011
    1979 Starcraft Islander 221 Great Lakes Fishing Boat
    SOLD: 2006 Chevy HHR The Deer Slayer.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by