GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 97 350 Vortec need motor(I think)

Hello, I'm new to the forum but I will definitely be around because my truck is getting old and I'll be looking for parts and advice in the future. My problem right now is I lost the motor I think. I was going down the interstate when the motor cut off. I was luckily right at an exit and made it to the top of the ramp. Then it wouldn't start, so I held the gas to the floor and after a long time it started. I made a bonzai run for the house but it cut off again and would not start and was making a lot of funny screeching, grinding noises. I towed it to the house and when I started looking at things I immediately found that the radiator was empty, but it hadn't leaked out. I pulled the oil dipstick and it was full all the way to the seal with what looked like chocolate milk. After further checking, I discovered that I had blown an intake gasket and leaked all the coolant into the oil. My question for you guys is two-fold, first-should I bother trying to rebuild my motor(it has 262,000 miles), or second, if I should look for a new motor, where can I find one cheap? I lost my job and am living on savings, limited credit, and unemployment from the state. I had someone tell me that since I ran it after it cut itself off automatically, that the coolant in the crankcase while running probably damaged some or all of the lower end bearings. Is this true? Please help.

Yikes...... yeah, sounds like it's done for. Cheapest thing for ya would probably be to find a complete running engine from a junkyard or someone selling one and just swap it out.

Yeah... I'd say bearing are shot now.
    Joseph

Airforce Veteran (7 years)

NRA Life Member

would have to agree on the used motor

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)