GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default trying to drain the radiator

I decided to do a radiator flush on my 94 Sierra, which I have never done before on this truck. I'm lying on my back looking up and I can't even see the bottom of the radiator let alone find the drain. Is there something I need to remove? Like the front skid plate? I hate taking stuff apart and then finding out the answer was right in front of me !
    TIA
    Steve

Usually you can see and reach them from the top side. It's little wing nut looking deal, with sort of a tube on it so you can hook on a piece of 3/8 hose.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

On the driver's side ?

I think so. Ready for bed now, I'll check tomorrow

If I were you, I would take off the lower radiator hose at the radiator instead of trying to use the actual drain plug. I've heard a few stories of people trying to open the the drain plug and it braking off, resulting in a new radiator. Also, look into replacing any and all hose while you're at it, along with you belt. Might as well replace everything while you're in there now...
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by Mean_Green_95 View Post
    If I were you, I would take off the lower radiator hose at the radiator instead of trying to use the actual drain plug. I've heard a few stories of people trying to open the the drain plug and it braking off, resulting in a new radiator. Also, look into replacing any and all hose while you're at it, along with you belt. Might as well replace everything while you're in there now...
    His ideas are good. There are also two block drains, down near the oil pan. I havn't pulled block drains since I had my 81 almost 15 years ago. They don't come out easy, but it's the only way to really drain your entire system. 5/8 socket with long breaker bar if I remember correctly. Truthfully, you'll probably get your time back, because everytime you add water, it will still turn green.

Thanks- I found it down by the bottom on the drivers side. The guy who owned the truck before me had a second battery installed on that side, so I had to remove that before I could see anything. I also had to pull the long blank cylindrical thing with two hoses going in to it- I guess it's some sort of smog device (do I need that?). I also agree that the valve seems kind of fragile- I was expecting an old fashioned metal valve. So I got everything drained, and a tube would have been nice because it was messy. I ran the flush and water through and had to stop there because it was getting late. I'll drain that this morning and add the final coolant mix.
    Steve

Can you post a pic of the unknown device?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-27a.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	3237

The truck seems to run fine when it's disconnected, but I put it back anyway.
    Thanks

Vapor canister. You want that on there. No impact to performance.