GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 Last Post byLast Post by

Talking Techtrolene

Word!

I have run Chevron for the last ten years. WHy?
    I remember that Mercedes Benz had an add on in their owners manuals, they actually recommended this fuel because it had Techtrolene in it... (My spelling may not be correct on that additive) At the time, Mercedes had their own factory fuel injection cleaner, and they were recommending this Chevron additive.
    I use regular and put a tank of high Test in every fifth tank. You can buy the straight additive in auto part stores, Costco has the best deal in a six pac for around $14.
    You will never have a problem with your injectors if you use quality fuel.
    A dirty fi can rob you of decent MPG , remember this is the item that atomizes your fuel, the better the atomization the better the fuel mileage...

I have read that having the tailgate UP in an open bed creates significant drag on aerodynamics,hence mpg. Can't see leaving the tailgate down however unless you tie a red bandana or other warning to tailgaters. Looks crappy too. If a person were to drive at highway speeds alot I could see a reduction in mpg, but city driving not so much.

It makes sense to not carry around a full tank of fuel too. Why carry all the weight of that gas? Keep it at half tank if possible, or there abouts but don't stay low for long cause the electric fuel pump needs the cooling of the gas to last.

Blog Entries

I dont think weight matters much, its a truck theyre suppose to be heavy

If you wanna get rid of some weight, just get rid of your bumper and hitch. Add a roll pan.

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|

I have always heard that a tonneau cover helped milage. My '93 Silverado had a cover on the bed from the time I bought it until late this spring when it wore out and I took it off. To my surprise I gained just over one mpg, this was with leaving the tailgate up.

The '04 I just got has a bed cover as well and I will be experimenting with it in the near future. I'll keep you posted.
    John

'04 K1500 Silverado Z71
    '04 Impala
    ----------------------------
    previously

'78 C10
    '84 C10
    '88 Corsica
    '92 Lumina
    '93 C1500 Silverado

the tailgate down thing doesnt work. was proven on myth busters. creates a swirling motion which has more drag on it. if you have ever had trash in your bed , like a soda can or a cup from mc.donalds you will notice it doesnt always fly straight out. it will make a few turns and twist and float in the bed for a while then get sucked out. not sure of all the science behind it but it just doesnt work.
    Lawrence Lee,United States Navy, Engineering.
    2008 Silverado CC. Z71 4x4. leveling kit on with exhaust hopefully putting on soon

Mythbusters also did a test on tail gates and fuel economy. They found that having a normal tail gate closed got way better gas mileage than open, and the "net" tail gates got the worst. So basically keep your tail gate closed!!!

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500
    -7" Fabtech Lift
    -Gibson Dual Exhaust (headers all the way back)
    -K&N Cold Air Intake
    -35" BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM2's
    -17" V-Tec Off Road Wheels
    -2% Tint All Around
    -Pioneer Head Unit, and Speakers, Tweeters All Around
    -Two 12" Kicker CVR Subwoofers
    -3000w Performance Teknique Amp
    -CB Radio, PA System
    -After Market Tail Lights
    -HID Head Lights

Default All good ideas

I started talking with a co-worker regarding these same things. He has the exact same truck I do (but in blue). '07 new body style extended cab with 6' bed, 5.3l with the active fuel management, 4x4 drive. The only difference between our two trucks is the mods he has installed. He put a K&N Cold Air Intake kit and a Flowmaster 40 series (CAT-back) on the truck, that's it. All I've done is replace the tires with a 3/4 ton 10-ply (same size). He claims a 22 MPG on the freeway, and I see about 17 to 18. So I started researching his claim. Heck, for $600 roughly I could do these two mods and see if I hit 21 (my tires are slightly heaver). Has anyone experimented with these two and actually seen a marked increase?
    2007 Silverado 1500 NNBS - Work truck and daily driver
    2002 Malibu - The wife's car, for now. I smell a Suburban in my future
    1976 Stingray - NOW OVER 100,000 MILES!

Quote Originally Posted by Tydeone View Post
    Don't forget the gas.
    I have seen a 10% increase in milage by switching brands of gas. I was regularly using Speedway(Marathon) gas and getting 15 mpg in my '93 Silverado. Our local Shell station became very price competitive so I tried a few tankfulls of Shell gas. To my surprise I gained a consistant 1.5 mpg, up to 16.5.

It pays to experiment a little.
    I have an older model (91) and it seems to me that right about the time gas stations started putting 10% ethanol in their gas that my mileage dropped by about the same amount. Coincidence? Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that or if I'm just a little too cynical.

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by crawfordguard View Post
    Mythbusters also did a test on tail gates and fuel economy. They found that having a normal tail gate closed got way better gas mileage than open, and the "net" tail gates got the worst. So basically keep your tail gate closed!!!
    ditto,
    saw that one. I was surprised but they got all that "science" on their side, so I guess they're right.
    91 K1500, 4x4.
    It's not fancy, but it still looks pretty good and runs hard...
    kind-of like me.

Every one keeps talking about fuel additives to clean out their fuel system, but no one mentions adding a cap full or two of ATF to a tank of gas. I learned this from some old timers. How many of you have a half or full bottle of ATF on their garage shelves? Also some marvel mystery oil in the fuel will help lube your valves.
    Old Show Trucks USA conversion
    Custom Paint, interior (Wood grain and leather seats) windows so dark you need a flash light to see me, stock rims, headers, dual exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by dogred View Post
    Every one keeps talking about fuel additives to clean out their fuel system, but no one mentions adding a cap full or two of ATF to a tank of gas. I learned this from some old timers. How many of you have a half or full bottle of ATF on their garage shelves? Also some marvel mystery oil in the fuel will help lube your valves.
    Adding ATF to the fuel supply is something from back in the day where cars didn't have EFI or catalytic converters. The chief benefits were upper cylinder and combustion chamber lubrication and carbon removal. Being very high in detergent I personally would not add ATF to a modern, fuel-injected gasoline engine, as I'd worry over electric fuel pump damage, fuel filter damage, injection system damage, emission system damage, and the like.

Personally I'd be more inclined to use Sea Foam to achieve the benefits associated with use of ATF in the gas tank, as it does the same things with none of the supposed risks.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 Last Post byLast Post by