GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Location of O2 sensors

Please help me with my 1998 Chevy Tahoe 5.7L 4x4. This spring my check engine light came on, I brought it to Autozone and they scanned it with their OBD2 car reader and it revealed code P0161, O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 2 sensor 2). I purchased the O2 sensor, but then read online that they can be very difficult to remove if they have been in for a long time. I decided to bring it to a garage and have them do it for me. A few days later the light came back on. Same code P0161.

I brought it back to the garage and explained that the light had come back on and was revealing the same code. They inspected and discovered that they had installed the sensor I brought to them at location Bank 1 sensor 2, not Bank 2 sensor 2. I paid them for a new sensor and labor to install one at location Bank 2 sensor 2. Problem seemed to be solved and light did not return.

Fast forward 3 months. After having some transmission work done last week the check engine light returned. Same code, P0161. I figured maybe they had tugged on some wires on something while working on the transmission, so I brought it back to the garage that did the O2 sensors for me and explained I thought maybe a wire had become disconnected while the transmission shop was working around it. They tested the connections to both Bank 1 sensor 2 and Bank 2 sensor 2. Everything seemed to test out fine, so they ended up swapping the two sensors. We were trying to determine if the check engine light would follow the sensor. This way if the light came back on and said P0161 we would know that it must be in the connection from the car's computer to the wire harness for the Bank 2 sensor 2 sensor. And if the light returned and revealed the code for Bank 1 sensor 2 we would know it was the sensor itself.

Well today the light returned and revealed code P0141 O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (Bank 1 sensor 2). The code seems to have followed the O2 senor's change of location. I want to replace this sensor, right? I'm tired of bringing my car into the garage, and have spent nearly $600 trying to get this dang check engine light off. I am confident I can swap the sensor myself this time. Autozone will replace the original sensor I purchased from them in April, and has an O2 sensor wrench I can borrow. I'm not so worried about the sensor being seized in there because it has been out now twice in the last 3 months.

My question, where is the location of Bank 1 sensor 2? I believe it is behind the Cat, but have heard conflicting info as to weather it is on the drivers side or passengers side. Anybody know for certain.

Sorry this was so long. Thanks for listening to my blog. Cheers...

Cool location of O2 sensor

Bank 1 is always drivers side, Bank 2 always passenger side. Sensor 1 front either side, sensor 2 rear either side.

Drivers side rear between the cat and muffler.

To double check, I suppose you could unplug it which should cause a diagnostic code, then make sure that code is the same and not a new code. (Or in other words, if it was the wrong sensor you were unplugging, you would get a new different code. So if light on steady, unplug it and drive to Autozone, have them check the codes again, and there should not be a code for a different sensor.)

Then be sure to apply anti-seize compound to the threads ONLY and be sure to not get any on the part which goes into the pipe. This will allow you to remove it again in the future.

BTW, you have good mechanics. That is a good troubleshooting technique to move a part from one place to another and see if the problem moves!

And if you want to work on stuff like this yourself, you can get a GM Factory Service Manual set for your year/model vehicle. Order from helminc.com or from your GM dealer. These cost about $135 for the set, but are well worth it. Do a couple of repairs like this yourself, and you are money ahead.

Also along with a factory service manual, a LOT of troubleshooting is done with a multimeter. The factory service manual has instructions for using a multimeter, but following are more instructions. You need to understand and be able to read "resistance" (ohms) and DC voltage. If you can't use a multimeter, then no point in getting the factory service manual.

How to use a multimeter...
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...imeter&aqi=g10
    92 GMC Sierra 2500