GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Need help w/ front diff, 99 Tahoe

Does anyone know where I can get a diagram and instructions on how to tear down and rebuild the front diff on my 99 Tahoe? I know a factory manuel would have this, I was more looking to find someone who already had this info. Thanks for your help. Myles

Quote Originally Posted by Milo'sTahoe View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get a diagram and instructions on how to tear down and rebuild the front diff on my 99 Tahoe? I know a factory manuel would have this, I was more looking to find someone who already had this info. Thanks for your help. Myles
    Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're asking this question, take it to a shop. Rebuilding a differential is not an easy job, and the average "shade tree mechanic" usually does not possess the skills/tools needed to do the job correctly.

For what a shop may charge $3-400, you'll spend that in tools alone.

Why is it that you need to rebuild the front diff? I did work on axles most of my adult life, so I can probably help you out.
    1972 chevy p/u - 454 engine - work in progress
    1999 'burb - wife's vehicle
    1976 Jeep CJ5- Dana 60 front and rear, locked, 350 engine, GM 3 spd, Atlas II T/C, 8" lift on 38's
    2003 Jeep TJ- Dana 44 rear Dana 30 front, ox lockers front and rear 3.5" lift on 33's - My DD

J.E.E.P.-------->
    Just
    Empty
    Every
    Pocket

......Rebuilding a [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]differential[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    is not an easy job, and the average "shade tree mechanic" usually does not possess the skills/tools needed to do the job correctly.

X2 on that statement!

Usually what happens is someone will disassemble the differential and not mark anything. Give up and then bring it into a shop to have it rebuilt. The end result is it costs more money than if you had just brought the job in and let the shop take it apart.
    The catch when trying to rebuild a diff is the book tells you to use lots of special factory tools that you don't have. Guys that build diffs know how to get around using these tools but these procedures are not written in any books.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Don't worry I am not taking it the wrong way, I get that rebuilding a diff is not easy. Having rebuilt and regeared a couple Dana 44s and a 10 Bolt in the past by no means makes me an expert either. I have most of the tools needed, just not the diagrams and the specific tear down instructions.

Why am i rebuilding?? My left (short) output shaft on my front diff is noticeably loose (up and down movement) and leaking fluid. I also have either a bearing or gear noise coming from the front IFS diff which I am sure is associated with this. I don't think it is gear noise cause it does not change when you go from the driving side of the gear to the coasting side of the gear, to me it sounds more like a bearing noise, but I won't know until I open it up. I already checked my rear diff and it is in good shape, bearings, gears and axle shafts and all.

I have not rebuilt an IFS unit before and would like to learn. I actually have another Tahoe which I may have to do similar work to in 3-5 years as it is a higher mileage truck too and starting to show some wear.

Both of my Tahoes have had good maintenance from me, but they are both used and the one I need to tear into had 135K on it before I bought it. I hope this helps answer your questions. Thanks, Myles

Jimmie I hope you get this message, I do not have enough posts to send a PM to you with my info, so here it is...resemmens@hotmail.com Thanks, Myles

OK, it's on the way. I hope you stick around now and participate.

Hi all, I know this thread is kind of old but I was searching google for some information on rebuilding a front diff and happened to find tihs thread. My 2000 Silverado 1500 has the exact same problem that Milo described....it just started making noise so I crawled underneath it to investigate. Fluid is leaking from around both output shafts and there is noticeable "wiggle" in the left output shaft.
    I see that the common opinion is that this type of repair/rebuild should be left to the professionals, but I'd really like to try this myself. I think I have the tools necessary to do this (torque wrenches, dial indicators, etc) but, like Milo, I could use some help in the form of diagrams, torque specs, preload specs, etc. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks!

I can give you all the specs if you'd like. Send me a PM and I'll get it to you.

It's on the way.