GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Underhood light - best donor for transplant?

I realize this is an odd first post, but I'm not a GM truck owner today, so perhaps that will better frame the reason for my question.... It's been suggested to me that Chevy trucks have a switched light under the hood which could readily be retrofitted to another, non-original application. I've casually looked for such a light while doing some "junkyard touring", but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for, which trucks might have such a light, and where it might be located. Can anyone shed some light on the topic? (pardon the pun)

Quote Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti View Post
    I realize this is an odd first post, but I'm not a GM truck owner today, so perhaps that will better frame the reason for my question.... It's been suggested to me that Chevy trucks have a switched light under the hood which could readily be retrofitted to another, non-original application. I've casually looked for such a light while doing some "junkyard touring", but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for, which trucks might have such a light, and where it might be located. Can anyone shed some light on the topic? (pardon the pun)
    No ideas???
    Brad

idk about a housing, but you might be able to use this and stick it on the hood, i was thinking about putting some in my glove box for light also

Default hmmm

in a early 90s silverado my brother had there was a hand cranked swicthed lite you could pull on it and it had about six feet of wire inside of it so you could move the lite around. and then you use the hand crank to reel in the wire when your done. Its on the passenger side fender I actually removed his when he sold the truck and put it in my truck. Im sure thats what your looking for. just start looking in the older trucks at the salvage yard youll know once you see it
    2000 Silverado Z71 Whipple Supercharger, JBA Headers,3" cat back Flowmaster Exhaust, Volant cai, Pioneer Preimer deck,Orion subwoofer,03 signal light mirrors,03 taililghts

Default Heres a pic

this ones mounted on the hood but its the same one I was talking about
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails underhood light.jpg  

My '94 has two. One that mounts to the underside of the hood and turns on when it's lifted up, and another that mounts to the passenger side of the engine bay. The one that mounts to the engine bay can be disconnected (that's actually when it turns on too) and you can reel out the cord so you can see stuff everywhere. Very handy little light, just be careful, that bulb gets REALLY hot.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Zubbiez and ct9a have the right idea. That would probably be the optimum light to install under the hood. While I've never reeeled mine out for fear of it never reeling back in (it IS 18 years old ) It would be the best under-hood light GM made. They have a manual switch usually that you have to flip to turn it on, which is usually good. You just have to have the spot where the light's located memorized so you can flip the switch on the unit to turn it on.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

My '01 SHD2500 had one under the hood. I wound up removing it because it never worked right. On one of my old cars I took a spare driving light, soldered on some 12 gauge speaker wire & clamps & whenever i needed a light under hood at night, I'd just whip it out & hook it up.
    You're driving is WAY more offensive than my swearing, assjack!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by