GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default Loud humming while accelerating and decellerating w/ gas smell

Hey there. About a week ago I noticed a low pitched humming noise comming from the rear end of my truck. My truck has a very very small gasket leak coming from the rear diff, but I keep on it and make sure its not low (changing gasket, this weekend). Anyways the noise will start when I take off from a light or from a stop and continue all the way up to 60-70mph, it is more apparent when I lift my foot off of the gas pedal, then I step back on it and the sound is still there just not as loud. The last two days I have also noticed a strong smell of fuel. The sound is constant, also the truck runs great, doesnt miss, doesnt stumble on idle. There has been a few times where I step on the gas and it hesitates but it will get goin. I hope my fuel pump is not taking a crap on me, I just replaced it last year..Although I have put nearly 40,000 miles on my truck in that year (I work for directv, lot of driving) I hope this makes sense to somebody. Please fill me in on what you guys think..thanks
    2000 chevy silverado 1500 LS Longbed Regular cab

My truck actually was doing the exact same thing when the fuel pump started going out, see if you can run to auto zone and hook up a pressure meter up to the line, check and see if it is fluctuating. If that checks out, you may have to drop the tank, and see if the buzz is coming from the pump.

1998 Chevrolet Silverado
    5.7L v8 Vortec
    Dual Flowmaster 40s
    Kenwood stereo and speakers

Sounds like the rear end is worn. When you replace the rear gasket, take some brake clean and clean out the rear end housing and gears and see if you have any pieces floating around. The pinion bearing my be bad. How many miles on the rear end?

Sr. Apprentice

The truck itself has 238,000 miles on it..The reason I dont feel its the rear end is because of the gas smell, but that could be coming from something else..I was thinking it might be a clogged fuel filter, I said it was louder when the I let my foot off the gas, I was thinking the fuel return was getting held up because of the clogged filter and it was making it harder to get back into the tank...causing a loud noise..I would think if the fuel pump was bad, it would just go out, The fuel pump is just over a year old, although its is an autozone fuel pump, its a beck/arnley product which they make good stuff so I doubt its the pump..I am just scratching my head trying to figure it out, I am going to go with cheap assurance and by a fuel filter and replace that and see if that takes care of the problem, if not I will drop the tank (pita) and see whats going on..Thanks for the replies guys..Also I changed out my diff fluid once already and there was two metal chunks about the size of a dime attached to the pan...so the rear end is probably taking a **** on me, the thing that is pushing me away from the rear end is the gas smell, but it could be two totally different problems..

I think you have a fuel and rear problem, if you found chunks the size of dimes you most definately have a rear problem! Also, it my just be a clogged fuel filter.

Sr. Apprentice

I hate to say but I think your right, to better explain the sound it sounds like I have a set of super swamper or a set of tall tires and they make a very distinct sound on the pavement..hope that helps..I may have a dry rear diff...its leaks when I am parked...I notice it everytime I am parked somewhere, there isnt a puddle of diff fluid but its about a waffle sized (sorry didnt know what else to compare it too), leak..I am going to autozone right now to get a fuel filter and gasket and fluid...I hoping the rear diff isnt torn to shreads...

Good luck, hope its not to bad.

Sr. Apprentice

Well I changed out my rear diff fluid and changed the gasket, all is well there, no metal chunks this time, I spun the gears and everything looks in tact, so I dont know where the metal chunks came from last time I changed the diff fluid, the ring gear and spider gear looked very good...The oil was a little metalish, not chunks at all though..I made sure she isnt leaking at all, used the gasket and some rtv gasket sealer. I bought the fuel filter today and going to change it tomorrow, Ill keep yall updated...

Sr. Apprentice

Changed out the fuel filter and whining noise is still present. It sounds like it is coming from my transmission, I opened up the door while I was getting on the highway today and it sounds like it is coming directly under my seat, which is at the back of the transmission. I am not sure, I am at a loss and dont know whats wrong...I have googled it and some guys say an array of things for this issue, I just dont know where to start. They were saying anything from a bad belt tensioner, a/c bearing/, bad rear end, bad transmission. So I am stuck for now..This is my only ride so I need to fix it quick..Any more Ideas, please let me know guys...Thanks for your help..