GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Shocks for smooth ride

Good evening, all. Newbie here, working on my cousin's 2005 1500 Silverado crew cab. It has just under 50,000 miles, two wheel drive, coil spring front end, small V-8 auto and needs shocks. We took it on vacation (very generous cousin, I must say) and noted after a freeway bump coming off a bridge the truck would porpoise 4-5 times at speed so I am assuming shocks. He is more interested in ride quality than load control, it is primarily a people mover. I came across Monroe Sensa Trac for front and rear that looked pretty good, anyone have an opinion or experience with these shocks?

Or anyone have a suggestion as to what to put on?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dave / Believer45

Monroe shocks are OK for the stock ride you desire. They have been around for years and make an OK stock shock absorber. I just put Bilsteins on my truck. Some OE GM shocks are made by Bilstein although they are not the same quality as the aftermarket version.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

yeah i'd go with something aftermarket that would have a little stiffer ride than stockers
    Scott-Mississippi
    1996 Silverado
    *Mostly stock for now
    *Soon to be airbag project..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    Monroe shocks are OK for the stock ride you desire. They have been around for years and make an OK stock shock absorber. I just put Bilsteins on my truck. Some OE GM shocks are made by Bilstein although they are not the same quality as the aftermarket version.
    How do you like the Bilsteins? Have you had a chance to do freeway driving with them?

I have used Monroe and Gabriel long ago, it has been a while since I have replaced a shock absorber on anything. My current ride has 287,000 on the clock on the original shocks, injectors (diesel), rear brakes, alternator and several other parts. I think it may be time for the shocks to be replaced but the rest is going to run until failure. In my defense it is a 3/4 ton diesel work truck so ride is not really a consideration, I realize I will never get it to ride like a caddy without a full air ride suspension and I cannot see investing several thousand dollars in a 15 year old truck just to smooth it out.

The porpoising on this truck ('05 1500 Silverado crew cab shorty) and the steering shudder after hitting a bump is something I would like to take care of before returning the truck to my cousin as a "thank you" for lending it to us. I have heard much about Bilsteins being top shelf but, as I stated in my original post, the concern is more unloaded ride quality as the owner does not really haul much with it.

Thanks for taking a minute to reply.

Dave / Believer45

Quote Originally Posted by 1_low_rider View Post
    yeah i'd go with something aftermarket that would have a little stiffer ride than stockers
    NICE rear end treatment!! Understated and classy.

When you say stiffer than stock I think the owner will be happy maintaining stock ride, we just need to get the control back that has been lost over the 50K he has driven it. What would you suggest as a replacement?

Dave / Believer45

Quote Originally Posted by Believer45 View Post
    as I stated in my original post, the concern is more unloaded ride quality as the owner does not really haul much with it.

Dave / Believer45
    heres you a link to a few shocks that would get the job done, since its for someone else and not you personally then i wouldn't go all out, i would just simply pick something middle of the road. that way you dont break the piggy bank and he still ends up with a big smile on his face!.......... http://www.summitracing.com/search/Y.../?Ns=Price|Asc

Rancho RS9000XL or Bilstein 5100
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

the monroe shocks are a great shock never had a problem with them, thats what we install at our shop and what i run and everyone else at our shop runs

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

The Bilstein shocks ride a little firmer than stock but they are comfortable on the freeway. The Monroe shocks will give you a smooth stock ride and are cheaper.

Default Not Sensa-Trac!

I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee used with 48,000 miles back in 1998. When I had about 60,000 miles one of the stock shocks started leaking and I let Discount Tire talk me into Sensa-Trac's. While in the waiting room I noticed sparks from under my car. Come to find out, the mechanic broke off one of the mounting brackets and the idiot was welding the shock directly onto the place where the mount had been. Needless to say, I made them weld a new mount on it. Well, to get to the point, they've ridden like crap for the last 120,000 miles. The Jeep now has 186,000 on it. The ride is stiffer than the original shocks were. I just bought an '02 Tahoe and suddenly realized what a crummy ride I've been tolorating all these years. Just my opinion. I wish I had just put OEM's back on.