GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 99 Suburban 350 no spark

Would like to say Hello to all looks like a great site with lots of good information. Okay here is the issue, my neighbor is having a no start, no spark condition in her 99 Suburban it has the 350 in it. I used a spark tester and also pulled a plug and ground it on the manifold and there was no spark. So I checked Cap and rotor looks real old and she said she never replaced in the 7 yrs she has had it, also checked to see if distributer was turning and it is, it has very little side to side movement if any so not sure if it is the dizzy. I replaced the cap and rotor and the hall effect sensor on the dizzy and still no spark. After doing a search on here I did see it could be the ignition module or possibly the coil I do not have a repair manuel on this vehicle to check these components and dont want her to just throw money at parts that may not be the problem. Does anyone here know the proper procedures for checking the ignition module and coil for this vehicle? or have any ideas for this vehicles no spark condition. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Mike

What you need to do is check the codes in the PCM and see what the problem is. Chances are it will tell you.
    1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 210K miles:
    350 Vortec/4L60E, 3.42 posi, Underdrive crank pulley, K&N filter, Superchips power programmer, mallory coil, true dual exhaust, torque swirl TB spacer, and more!

1991 Pontiac Trans Am GTA- L98 Superram
    1992 Subaru SVX LS-L- Way too many mods to list!

You should be abel to take a volt meter to the electrical wire going into the coil to see if ti is getting juice from the battery. If you have power going in but no spark, probably the coil. If no juice to the coil could be fuse or short somewhere. It would be worth spending 20 dollars on a repair manual though.
    Last edited by dsfloyd; 07-15-2009 at 12:38 PM.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Did not check for codes as the cel light was not on but that doesnt mean there are no stored codes. I will check for codes tomorrow when I have time. I will check the power into the coil to see if its getting the 12v into the coil. I do not have a manuel for the vehicle as its not my vehicle I will ask my neighbor if she wants to buy one. Thanks for the help.
    Mike