GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sr. Apprentice

Default Plugs and Wires???

So I have read every post the search function could find relating to the selection of plug wires and plugs and everything I read seems to be about earlier models, say 2005 and earlier. I have a 2006 Silverado, 4x4 Ext Cab LT3 with the 5.3L V8. It just turned 70,000 so I thought it might be time for some new plugs and wires.

From the posts I read the consensus on plugs seemed to be either AC Delco or NGK. Does the same hold true for my truck? Do type of plugs came stock in my truck, copper, platinum, iridium?

For wires all summit shows are some Taylor's (cheapest), AC Delco which is obviously the factory option, and then Granatelli's which are by the far the most expensive but say they offer near 0 Ohms resistance. The Taylor's say they offer 500 Ohms resistance which doesnt seem to be much better than stock but they are much cheaper.

What other options have you guys used? What do you suggest?

As far as Wires,there are many to choose from,MSD,Taylor,JBA to name a few.IMO going with one of the ones I have Mention they will be a upgrade over Stock the one's,as far as Plug's I have gone with A/C Delco Iridium Plug's and JBA 8mm Wires,This has been a Very Good setup for me.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    As far as Wires,there are many to choose from,MSD,Taylor,JBA to name a few.IMO going with one of the ones I have Mention they will be a upgrade over Stock the one's,as far as Plug's I have gone with A/C Delco Iridium Plug's and JBA 8mm Wires,This has been a Very Good setup for me.
    This is exactly my point. I did all this research and decided to go with the AC Delco Iridium plugs and the MSD SuperConductor wires but when I search for my model year none of these appear to be available.

IIRC, your 99 has the 5.3L 323ci engine and I have the 5.3L 325ci engine. Are the plugs and wires on these 2 engines interchangeable?

What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by brtt485 View Post
    This is exactly my point. I did all this research and decided to go with the AC Delco Iridium plugs and the MSD SuperConductor wires but when I search for my model year none of these appear to be available.

IIRC, your 99 has the 5.3L 323ci engine and I have the 5.3L 325ci engine. Are the plugs and wires on these 2 engines interchangeable?

What am I missing?
    I don't see Why Not?? I just looked up Plugs and Plug wires at Summitt and here is what I found,

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-32829/Application/?query=Year|2005|Make|CHEVROLET|Model|SILVERADO+15 00&prefilter=1

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-32829/Application/?query=Year|2005|Make|CHEVROLET|Model|SILVERADO+15 00&prefilter=1

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACF-41-985/Application/?query=Year|2005|Make|CHEVROLET|Model|SILVERADO+15 00&prefilter=1

The H.P.in your truck has more,but the ci I Believe is still the same 323ci,Maybe someone can help me out on that.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 07-15-2009 at 01:32 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE

Quote Originally Posted by brtt485 View Post
    Go back and look up 2006, which is my model year, and tell me what you see then.
    My Bad,I looked up the wrong yr,Sorry.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE

Sr. Apprentice

My Bad,I looked up the wrong yr,Sorry.
    You see what I mean though? I almost have zero options.

Here are Plugs for a 2006 Silverado with a 5.3,325ci,

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACF-41-985/Application/?query=Year|2006|Make|CHEVROLET|Model|SILVERADO+15 00&prefilter=1

it is the same Spark Plug that is used in a 99' Silverado 5.3 liter 323 ci

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE

Sr. Apprentice

Here are Plugs for a 2006 Silverado with a 5.3,325ci,

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACF-41-985/Application/?query=Year|2006|Make|CHEVROLET|Model|SILVERADO+15 00&prefilter=1

it is the same Spark Plug that is used in a 99' Silverado 5.3 liter 323 ci
    Yeah, the plugs were an easy find luckily! Always plenty of options on those. What I am really after is a good aftermarket set of wires with very low resistance. I havent tested the stock wires but others have said they are around 600 Ohms. The MSD wires are down around 50 Ohms.

I have Bosch +4 plugs, and MSD Ignition performance wires. I noticed a good increase in throttle response, and in how easy it is to start my truck.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast