GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: electric brakes

Default electric brakes

hi im trying to find out if my 2004 trailblazer that i just got has electric brakes for towing a trailer. its an 04 lt

Quote Originally Posted by revorunner View Post
    hi im trying to find out if my 2004 trailblazer that i just got has electric brakes for towing a trailer. its an 04 lt
    Your truck will need an electronic brake controller. There are many to choose from. The best one IMP is the Prodigy. You can buy an adapter cable with it to plug in to your truck. You will also need a 6 pin trailer plug unless your truck came with one.

Click Here
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Sr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    Your truck will need an electronic brake controller. There are many to choose from. The best one IMP is the Prodigy. You can buy an adapter cable with it to plug in to your truck. You will also need a 6 pin trailer plug unless your truck came with one.

Click Here
    There's no pigtail needed or available for the trailblazer. They all have the wiring for brake controllers taped up under the drivers side of the dash. Just connect a brake controller to the appropriate wires, there's a white tag taped to them listing all the functions of each wire. Depending on the brake controller, you may not use all the wires.

In the back by the hitch, there might be a 7 way plug already installed if the original owner put it on (but probably not since you're asking.) They all came with the plug since every trailblazer has a hitch, but they were in plastic bags in the glove box and not installed. Otherwise if you don't have the plug, there will be a fairly large round plug capped off in the back tucked up around the spare tire. Go to an auto parts store and buy the GM wiring to 7 way adapter, the part number for Draw Tite, Reese, and Hidden hitch is 20047. Not sure what the other brands number is. Should be around $15-$20 bucks.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Greg84 View Post
    There's no pigtail needed or available for the trailblazer. They all have the wiring for brake controllers taped up under the drivers side of the dash. Just connect a brake controller to the appropriate wires, there's a white tag taped to them listing all the functions of each wire. Depending on the brake controller, you may not use all the wires.

In the back by the hitch, there might be a 7 way plug already installed if the original owner put it on (but probably not since you're asking.) They all came with the plug since every trailblazer has a hitch, but they were in plastic bags in the glove box and not installed. Otherwise if you don't have the plug, there will be a fairly large round plug capped off in the back tucked up around the spare tire. Go to an auto parts store and buy the GM wiring to 7 way adapter, the part number for Draw Tite, Reese, and Hidden hitch is 20047. Not sure what the other brands number is. Should be around $15-$20 bucks.
    check at the dealer for the plug you need also check hopkins trailer plug ins they are who makes all the connectors you will need here is the link www.hopkinsmfg.com/tapguideintro.html if you have a fleet farm by your house this is what they sell i do no my plug for my 98 grand cherokee is the same wire hook up for my 2003 tril blazer so i got luky there.

Default electric brakes

this is the trailer plug on the trailblazer Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2120502.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	5235 does it still need the brake controller if the 7 pin is installed

Sr. Engineer

This may be a late reply.. but yes you still need a controller even though that plug is there. The other end of the wiring is taped up disconnected under your dashboard. The trailer brake lights will work without a brake controller, but the trailer brakes will not work.