GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default how does a aftermarket trans temp gauge work?

I am planning to buy a triple gauge piller, one vacuum, one trans temp, third i havent yet decided. how does a trans temp guage(aftermarket) get its reading? what type of sending unit is used? how hard is it to install?

98 Silverado
    5.7 vortec
    14 bolt posi rear, with 373s
    3"body?1.5"susp.
    33" wild countrys
    tube steps, chrome kit, fenderflares,
    chrome diff plate, window flares,
    2-10"Alpine TypeE, Alpine 450watt V-Power.

Quote Originally Posted by kawasaki_kid View Post
    I am planning to buy a triple gauge piller, one vacuum, one trans temp, third i havent yet decided. how does a trans temp guage(aftermarket) get its reading? what type of sending unit is used? how hard is it to install?
    You can install the sending unit in the pan but the best place is the return cooler line. The return cooler line shows the temp of the oil after it's been cooled. The sending unit will come with the gauge. They make a fitting <manifold> that splices into the cooler line and the sender screws into the fitting. It's easy to install. You cut the line with a tubing cutter and the adapter has compression fittings. Summit sells them as do most transmission specialty shops. Here a link. Click
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

okay, thanks for the info. do you think i could use it to read my rear rear diff temp?

okay, thanks for the info. do you think i could use it to read my rear rear diff temp?
    I wouldn't be worried about diff temp with a 14 bolt, 350, and 33s. I overload the crap out of my 97, and never even think about diff temp. I don't suspect many diff failures are temp related, either. Do you carry a lot of weight or do a lot of towing?
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    You can install the sending unit in the pan but the best place is the return cooler line. The return cooler line shows the temp of the oil after it's been cooled. The sending unit will come with the gauge. They make a fitting <manifold> that splices into the cooler line and the sender screws into the fitting. It's easy to install. You cut the line with a tubing cutter and the adapter has compression fittings. Summit sells them as do most transmission specialty shops. Here a link. Click
    I'm surprised you recommend the return line. Wouldn't it be better to know how hot the trans is getting on the output side? I guess ideally, one in each would be best.

Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    I'm surprised you recommend the return line. Wouldn't it be better to know how hot the trans is getting on the output side? I guess ideally, one in each would be best.
    The output would give you the temperature inside the torque converter. The return gives you you a better idea of the transmission temp which is and should be cooler. I agree one in each would be ideal and I have seen this done before with a double throw switch so you can see exactly how well your cooler is working.

Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    I wouldn't be worried about diff temp with a 14 bolt, 350, and 33s. I overload the crap out of my 97, and never even think about diff temp. I don't suspect many diff failures are temp related, either. Do you carry a lot of weight or do a lot of towing?
    i dont do much towing in summer, usually just winter, at most a snowmobile in the box and two on on a trailer. i was more just thinking of what else to put in a triple pod. vacuum, trans temp, and...? what else?

i dont do much towing in summer, usually just winter, at most a snowmobile in the box and two on on a trailer. i was more just thinking of what else to put in a triple pod. vacuum, trans temp, and...? what else?

Engine oil temp would be good, or a second tranny temp. You could have before and after the cooler as Jimmie were talking.