GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Don't walk up stairs with a laptop in the dark...

This morning, I'm walking up the stairs of my apartment after taking he dog out, with laptop in hand, trying not to wake the girl on my couch, when all the sudden, my hand gets caught by the guard rail. I drop my lap top, and it makes a thunderous crash. The girl doesn't wake up, so I just pick it up and go up stairs. I lay down, open it up, and half of my screen looks like a Skittles rainbow...

Now I'm looking into a new laptop that I need to get before school starts, which is in a month...
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Wow, sorry to hear about that dude. I've been there, broken laptop screens are no fun.

What's the make and model? I've found some replacement screens that you can get for pretty cheap ($100 or so) and it takes like 45 minutes and you're back in business...

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

I had my old IBM Thinkpad on the tray of a 737 doing some work. The 300 lb fat lady sitting in front of me pulled the handle and slammed back as violent as I've ever seen anyone recline a seat. The screen top caught in the top of the headrest and snapped. It broke the top of the laptop and the screen popped out. I yelled out Son of a bitch and she turned and gave me a dirty look. I told her she just broke my laptop. She said "oh well"
    I bought a parts laptop on Ebay for 30 bux and fixed it. There's lots of them on Ebay for parts.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

the other day i was cutting the grass, my dad got me this ipod holder that straps to your arm. he thought it would be real cool to use it when i cut the grass. so i tried it for the firs time. 10 minutes into the cut the velcro strap strait up failed and threw my ipod 2 inches from the mower deck. so i quickly shut off the mower and hopped off, before that the blade caught the strap sucking my ipod into the 3 bladed mower. within seconds my 120gb ipod was scattered across my lawn.
    1992 Suburban 4X4
    Custom Tough Country front bumper
    Mile Marker winch
    N-FAB steps
    6 inch Pro Comp lift
    17 inch Pro Comp wheels
    35 inch BFG A/T
    Hypnotic speakers
    Diamond Subs
    Pionner Head
    Optima yellow top

2009 Silverado 2500 HD
    LTZ
    Z71 (not 4x4) :mad:
    N-FAB side steps
    Rhino Liner
    UWS Black Series tool box

Quote Originally Posted by RussellFidel View Post
    the other day i was cutting the grass, my dad got me this ipod holder that straps to your arm. he thought it would be real cool to use it when i cut the grass. so i tried it for the firs time. 10 minutes into the cut the velcro strap strait up failed and threw my ipod 2 inches from the mower deck. so i quickly shut off the mower and hopped off, before that the blade caught the strap sucking my ipod into the 3 bladed mower. within seconds my 120gb ipod was scattered across my lawn.
    thats rough. i do landscaping for a living and i have ran over quite a few cell phones with equpment because i always seem to set them on the tire and get to talking, once that happens i forget and start driving whatever it is (skid steer, truck, lawn mower, tractor, etc)
    -Nick
    2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 LT, Z71 Appearance Package, Vortec 5.3L AFM
    Victory Red, Ebony Cloth
    Custom pin striping, Bed Rail Protectors, GM Bed Liner, Husky Liner Floor Liners, Tint, Wade In-Channel Window Visors, Tractor Supply Black Low Profile Toolbox

it a Tosiba something. I might look into getting a new screen, Idk though. And I feel yalls Ipod pains. My 30gig fell off my lawn mower, which was on my trailor at the time, while i was doing roughly 45. Luckily it was inside a leather case, and only ended up with two dents on the back. But now a few lines on the screen don't work, but I'm ok with that. I've found a HP for less than 400 that has all my needs, since I ue the laptop only for school...

Quote Originally Posted by Mean_Green_95 View Post
    it a Tosiba something. I might look into getting a new screen, Idk though. And I feel yalls Ipod pains. My 30gig fell off my lawn mower, which was on my trailor at the time, while i was doing roughly 45. Luckily it was inside a leather case, and only ended up with two dents on the back. But now a few lines on the screen don't work, but I'm ok with that. I've found a HP for less than 400 that has all my needs, since I ue the laptop only for school...
    Its probably cheaper to get a screen on ebay unless the laptop is old otherwise i'd just say get a new one. I'm always afraid im going to slip on something in the dark when im carrying my laptop too.
    2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L Z71 - 4x4

Well, I just looked on ebay, and found a couple screens, no inverters. The highest was $90 with free shipping. The others were hovering around $80 with $10 shipping. Although there was one that was $150, and $10 shipping. But if I decide to replae the screen, can any one tell me what to look for, and what not to look for. I've already took the laptop apart so I know I can get in there. Any help would be appreciated.

If anything you can pick up a new laptop pretty cheap on ebay. My laptop I'm typing on I bought on ebay new about two years ago, still works great too.
    Peter

2007 Silverado LT Crew NNBS 5.3
    Stock 20"
    Black Powdercoated Billet Gas Door
    LineX Bedliner
    Go Rhino Dom II Bars
    Work in Progress
    1952 Chrysler 2dr Windsor } Mine and Dad's
    1966 Ford Mustang

Former Cars
    2000 civic hx Moded
    1993 Probe simi moded
    1985 Nissan 4x4 Kingcab

So*Cal Group

well, I'm thinking of letting my gf buy the new screen, then fix it for her and just buy me a new one.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by