GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default top stud batteries?

is their ant benefit from the vs what the stock battery is? other then the terminals what else would i need to do? and will it even work?

I cant say either is any better , but I myself run a optima battery with side and top post the only reason is I end up jump starting alot of equipment in the winter time and when its freezing out I dont like messing with the tiny conections on the side mounted terimals and I didnt want to change the terminals at the same time so kinda best of both worlds
    2000 Silverado Z71 Whipple Supercharger, JBA Headers,3" cat back Flowmaster Exhaust, Volant cai, Pioneer Preimer deck,Orion subwoofer,03 signal light mirrors,03 taililghts

You can purchase adapter lugs. They bolt on like regular top lugs and are drilled and tapped to accept the side mount bolts. Or you can replace your battery cables. Either way it will work. There's nothing wrong with the side lug OE cables as far as performance goes. They are safer as the terminals are out of the way of tools and equipment.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

I want to eventually get a pair of batteries with both top and side lug posts. Keep the main power lugs for the truck side post and use the top posts for tieing the batteries together, isolation, electrical toys, etc. My biggest question is if I have the space vertically to fit a battery with top posts in my Suburban. It came with a side-lug battery from the factory; logic dictates there isn't enough vertical clearance in the spot it's in for top posts without shorting out against the hood. And the worst part is I have no clue how to measure the clearance I currently have to see if it will fit since the hood would have to be closed to determine the real vertical clearance.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

I prefer the top posts largely for more surface contact at the post.

I have a 99 Suburban and a top post fits fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    I want to eventually get a pair of batteries with both top and side lug posts. Keep the main power lugs for the truck side post and use the top posts for tieing the batteries together, isolation, electrical toys, etc. My biggest question is if I have the space vertically to fit a battery with top posts in my Suburban. It came with a side-lug battery from the factory; logic dictates there isn't enough vertical clearance in the spot it's in for top posts without shorting out against the hood. And the worst part is I have no clue how to measure the clearance I currently have to see if it will fit since the hood would have to be closed to determine the real vertical clearance.
    I have the optima battery with side and top post in a 2000 silverado plenty of clearance but I think the optima is a bit shorter than a regular battery its diffenatley narrower.
    2000 Silverado Z71 Whipple Supercharger, JBA Headers,3" cat back Flowmaster Exhaust, Volant cai, Pioneer Preimer deck,Orion subwoofer,03 signal light mirrors,03 taililghts

I read a trade tech article a few years ago written by an engineer from the Optima battery company discussing factors of top post's vs side post's.

The outcome was that side post's were suitable for a stock starting system and to power accessories but if you upgrade the electrical system you should consider connecting to the top post because they're rated for a higher constant amperage (the internal connections are larger). They recommended you never hook mega watt stereo's or winches to a side post as they wont withstand the amperage load as well as the top post.

Optima had a service bulletin about 3/4 years ago, if you brought your battery to a participating dealer they would replace it, their batteries were having side post failure issues that killed the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    I read a trade tech article a few years ago written by an engineer from the Optima battery company discussing factors of top post's vs side post's.

The outcome was that side post's were suitable for a stock starting system and to power accessories but if you upgrade the electrical system you should consider connecting to the top post because they're rated for a higher constant amperage (the internal connections are larger). They recommended you never hook mega watt stereo's or winches to a side post as they wont withstand the amperage load as well as the top post.

Optima had a service bulletin about 3/4 years ago, if you brought your battery to a participating dealer they would replace it, their batteries were having side post failure issues that killed the battery.
    Good point about stereos and winches Tim as well as if running dual batteries then the top post is the way to go.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

i went with optima. has both top and side. good for when you put extras on your truck.
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris