GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jr. Engineer

Honestly though the problem is not solved, I have replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ignition module, Battery and still intermittantly when I some to an intersection or more generally remove my foot from the accelorator the truck partially stalls. One of the shops that looked at it said that at the point is stalls the alternator meter dips and the timimg drops from 17 degrees to 2 degrees. On a couple of occasions the truck has actually stalled completely. My only other thought on this is the fuel pump.....

Anybody else have an idea?

Nice new GMC!!

The only other thought that comes to mind on your 95 is possibly the torque converter clutch is not releasing immediately when you come to a stop. I'm not sure if that would set a code on the obdI systems (which the 95 is) but it does on the obdII systems.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Jr. Engineer

I will have to look into that one. Has anybody had any experience with the throttle postion sensor? How to check it or replace it etc...? A guy here at the office suggested that might also be a culprit for something like this.

Jr. Engineer

another thing somebody mentioned is the IAC (Idle Air Controller).

Sr. Apprentice

if you have an EGR valve on intake it could be getting stuck open from carbon decarb motor an check or change egr valve johnny

Ooooh, I love the intermittent or difficult to trace troubles. Especially when they aren't on my truck. lol. Sorry, but my first two stops would be:
    1. Check for vacume leaks
    2. Check the fuel pump pressure.

To check for a vacume leak I'd remove the air cleaner/inlet assembly off the throttle body, then with the engine at idle I'd start to cover the air inlet on the TBI unit. As you start to 'choke off' the air supply if the engine starts to idle faster, or if a rough idle smooths out I'd suspect a vacume leak. Get a spray bottle filled with water and spray it around the gasket surfaces, like the throttle body gasket, the intake gasket area etc. Spray around the throttle body shaft too. If the idle behaves like it did when you were 'choking' the engine that is the leak source.

I had a dodge that had stalling stumbling problems that were so intermittent that it drove me almost to drink. I bought a fuel pressure gauge and spliced it into the fuel line. I ran the hoses to the gauge mounted in that area between the hood and wipers. (Don't try running into the passenger compartment. Big fire hazard.) Sure enough whenever the old dodge starting stalling the fuel pressure dropped to the 5-8 psi range which was too low. Replaced the fuel filter and the electric pump that was in the tank and the problem was gone.

With a jury rigged fuel pressure gauge, you'd get an idea what the fuel pressure was at the time the symptom was occuring.

Just my first crack at this one. Please keep us informed. Like I said, I really love the tough ones.......
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12