GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Computer Re-Flash

As many of you know your vehicle manufacturer can fix many driveability problems electronically. This procedure is known as a re-flash or a reprogram of your computer, similar to a custom tune only done by the dealer or an independent repair shop that has the hardware <usually a laptop> and the software to do it.
    Usually if there's an issue and it's widespread the manufacturer will issue a TSB on the particular problem. If the problem isn't significant you may never know there is a flash for it unless you periodically check TSBs for your particulaar vehicles.

The re-flash can repair engine, transmission, body and other electrical problems by changing the parameters the computer uses to control various inputs and outputs throught your vehicle.

As your vehicle breaks in parts start to wear. This can cause unforseen problems such as idle problems, power problems, shifting problems, fuel mpg problems, torque converter problems and emission control problems that may or may not set trouble codes.

Again this is why you should watch TSB lists for your vehicle to see if a reflash may fix a problem.

In closing here's something most people do not know. When the manufacturer builds a re-flash they sometimes fix other things without posting a TSB. What happens is the manufacturer's hot line will get dealer techs calling in with problems that are not widespread. If they see a potential problem thay may incorporate a fix that is not listed just to cover the possibility of future problems. So when you get your computer re-flashed there may be several issues reprogrammed without any documentation. Or on the other hand if you have a drivability problem it may not be a bad idea to get your computer re-flashed even though there is no TSB on your particular problem.

Dealers will not flash your computer unless there is a TSB so if you want it flashed you can take it to an independant shop,,,,,or,,,,,,complain about an issue that IS covered by a TSB.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Thanks for the information. My Jeep needed to be re-flashed and the Jeep dealer in LI, NY had no idea what I was talking about. My friends shop was not able to & told me to go to Jeep. I just switched computers.
    Everyday I wake up is a great day! ;-)
    05' Chevy Suburban, 11' Ford Fiesta

good info, do you have a specific web site YOU got your TSB's from? and can i take my truck in, and have the dealer check it to see if there is any TSB'S? my truck hasn't been to the dealer since the second week we had it
    Last edited by 5speedsilverado; 07-21-2009 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedsilverado View Post
    good info, do you have a specific web site YOU got your TSB's from? and can i take my truck in, and have the dealer check it to see if there is any TSB'S? my truck hasn't been to the dealer since the second week we had it
    Someone posted a site the other day and I was going to save it and I forgot to do so. :(

Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) must be registered with the NHTSA. You can find recalls, and TSB's listed at: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr.../tsbsearch.cfm

The caveat is that manufacturers do have their own internal Service Bulletins that may not be listed.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Thanks for the link!

thanks for the info
    :great:Semper FI

2008 Vortec 6.0 LT Z-71
    2500 HD "BIG BOY" Truck
    Stealth Grey Metallic
    Volant Cold Air Intake
    Line X Bed liner
    265 75 R16 Michelin LTX M/S2 ORWl
    Chrome step bars
    Fog lights
    3M clear shield hood protector
    Putco over sized boss locker side rails 2 1/2"
    Truxedo Low Pro QT Tonneau Cover

Jr. Apprentice

thanks jimmiee
    that confirms that i must get mine to the dealer. it has very poor throttle response and lack of low end power.
    2008 Silverado 2500 HD Crew cab LTZ 6.0

Great information! Thanks!

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    6" Suspension Lift and 1.5" Body Lift
    20x9 Ballistic Jesters w/35" Toyo Open Country MT's & 1.5" rear wheel spacers
    4:56 Yukon Gears
    Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator
    Baja style bed mount spare tire carrier
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals
    Tint, Line-X bedliner, Window visors, Rear wheel well liners
    Painted front grill, bow ties and door badges, de-"lettered" tailgate
    Powder coated front and rear bumpers

Blog Entries

nice..... i hate stealership ppl though. :(

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by