GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Front bow tie

Question Front bow tie

Okay so ive been wanting to paint my front bow tie black for some time but now that im looking at it more i like having the back trim around it. some ppl (aka Darkness23 lol) told me i shuld paint the gold part of the bow tie white but ive seen ppl do that and it looks a lil bit like a wana be pimp to me. so i started to thenk, wat if i painted the gold part of the bow tie black and painted the black trim white?
    so does any have and advis on the best way to do this? like shut i scuff it first and shuld i use primer etc etc.
    also, if anybodys seen this before or is good with photo shop can you plz help me get a pic of wat this wuld look like? heres a pic of the stock bow tie now. not the best pic but its all i got
    Last edited by SoCal Chevy; 07-19-2009 at 09:40 PM.
    ____Zybe the Zebra
    '07 NBS Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT1, 2wd, 4.8L
    :fighting0040:<--- (this is cool!!!)
    Custom 3in exhaust with Magnaflow muffler
    18in American Racing atx series thug's with 33 inch BFG A/T's
    N-Fab Nerf steps
    Blacked out rear wheel wells
    Rugged Liner bed liner <came with the truck>
    Pro Comp Leveling kit
    LED Glow 7 color underglow and interior glow kits

imo, i think the white would kinda blend into the chrome. on my bow tie i sanded it down, used grey primer to cover it till you couldn't see the gold, then coated it in flat black spray paint until it was dark enough

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Chevy View Post
    Okay so ive been wanting to paint my front bow tie black for some time but now that im looking at it more i like having the back trim around it. some ppl (aka Darkness23 lol) told me i shuld paint the gold part of the bow tie white but ive seen ppl do that and it looks a lil bit like a wana be pimp to me. so i started to thenk, wat if i painted the gold part of the bow tie black and painted the black trim white?
    so does any have and advis on the best way to do this? like shut i scuff it first and shuld i use primer etc etc.
    also, if anybodys seen this before or is good with photo shop can you plz help me get a pic of wat this wuld look like? heres a pic of the stock bow tie now. not the best pic but its all i got
    Heres a pic I did up for ya. Should give you an idea. Let me know what you think.

2003 Silverado 1500
    V8 4.8L 294ci
    2 inch Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    3 inch Rough Country Lift
    33 inch Nitto Terra Grapplers
    5% Tint All Around
    2 12" Kenwoods

thanx gibson. that relly helped. i like how it looks up close but i didnt even think about wat 5spped said till now. if i got up a picture of the bow tie from more of a distance do u think u culd do another photoshop for me gibson?
    even if it does blend from a distance tho i think itd b noticable from close up and t definatly be different

also, 5speed. i know u used grey primer but u just painted it black. so if im painting it white will the grey primer still work or wil i have to use a lighter color primer or a base coat?
    Last edited by SoCal Chevy; 07-19-2009 at 03:50 AM.

I painted mine a few mos. back. I taped off the trim as I wanted to leave it black, sanded the gold bowtie, and sprayed two coats of an adhesive promoter (any auto store will have this) to help the paint adhere, then sprayed very light coats of paint until I was satisfied on how it looked. Here are pics of the front and back painted.

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    6" Suspension Lift and 1.5" Body Lift
    20x9 Ballistic Jesters w/35" Toyo Open Country MT's & 1.5" rear wheel spacers
    4:56 Yukon Gears
    Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator
    Baja style bed mount spare tire carrier
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals
    Tint, Line-X bedliner, Window visors, Rear wheel well liners
    Painted front grill, bow ties and door badges, de-"lettered" tailgate
    Powder coated front and rear bumpers

i would go for it you can always sand if off if you dont like it
    06 silverado

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t=paint+bowtie

go there, firs link that popped up when i searched it
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Chevy View Post
    thanx gibson. that relly helped. i like how it looks up close but i didnt even think about wat 5spped said till now. if i got up a picture of the bow tie from more of a distance do u think u culd do another photoshop for me gibson?
    even if it does blend from a distance tho i think itd b noticable from close up and t definatly be different

also, 5speed. i know u used grey primer but u just painted it black. so if im painting it white will the grey primer still work or wil i have to use a lighter color primer or a base coat?
    Yeah I could do another one if you want, just hit me up with a pic.

i painted my banner red and it looks really good but i got red hillbilly sticker on the front of mine and my rebel flag plate on the front so it matches

hey canis i love ur truck. thats what i wanted mine to look like but i couldnt find a black truck as cheap as i found mine and im still in high school so my budget is crucial.
    ur front bow tie isnt ecactly what im looking for but how did u do the rear? thats exactly how i want mine. did u remove the bow tie or just tape off the tail gate?

and gibson ill get some pics up later today. i was guna go take some when i woke up this morning but i went outside and the truck wasnt there...lol, turns out my mom had to go pick up a new dresser down in la and it wuldnt fit in her car

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by