GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: De-Badging

Cool De-Badging

I'm sure this topic has been beat to death about as much as what's the best oil product or programmer, but hey...I'm a new guy so don't be to harsh eh'

I would like to finally remove all badges from the truck and was very successfull with the LS badge on the cab. Windex and waxing the area after removal seemed the shiznit.

However, moving on to removing the first 1500 badge from the front fender was a bich and now I'm left with the thick adhesive backing to try and remove without damaging the paint. Goo-Off doesn't seem to be much help either. I was going to try either a heat shrink gun or hair dryer and decided to come to the good folks here who have successfully accomplished this task in a timely matter.

I'm at your mercy forum friends.
    "You can't fix stupid"

I used the 3-M Eraser wheel,that you can pickup at most auto parts stores.It works Great at taking the last of the left over Adhesive off.!!!!..
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 07-19-2009 at 08:10 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Try the 3-M eraser, if that doesn't work I just use pain thinner. Just make sure to give that area a polish and wax afterward.
    JR
    2009 Silverado Z71, 5.3
    Under bottom coating
    Line-X bedliner
    Rhino Cat-back exhaust
    AEM Brute Force CAI
    more to follow

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    I used the 3-M Eraser wheel,that you can pickup at most auto parts stores.It works Great at taking the last of the left over Adhesive off.!!!!..
    Worked at an auto body shop. And all we did was take a puddy knife and wedge the badge off. Then we'd take the eraser wheel and giver. It takes it off like no ones business, just make sure not to put too much pressure on it in a single area, and to not keep it on that single area, or you will discolor your paint yellow from the wheel. Also, if you don't want this option, you can always use WD-40, spray it on, and it breaks it down, it makes it all puff up, and soft. Easy to take off. But not nearly as clean as the wheel.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by ippielb View Post
    Worked at an auto body shop. And all we did was take a puddy knife and wedge the badge off. Then we'd take the eraser wheel and giver. It takes it off like no ones business, just make sure not to put too much pressure on it in a single area, and to not keep it on that single area, or you will discolor your paint yellow from the wheel. Also, if you don't want this option, you can always use WD-40, spray it on, and it breaks it down, it makes it all puff up, and soft. Easy to take off. But not nearly as clean as the wheel.
    First of all thanks for the quick replies.... I have one 1500 badge off and at least .125 of goo staring me in the face..... ack!

Secondly, I've never heard of the "eraser wheel", and it sounds like it may come in handy for my machine work finishing other than tumbling or vibration also. I happen to have a body shop supply house within walking distance and I'll have a look see.

Thirdly, Sometimes I use an extremely strong double back tape to hold down flat panel, .125 and thinner material to a fixture plate and program the part, machine it, then remove it with WD-40 so I'm very familiar with that rutine and I know it doesn't harm paint as well. When the panel is thinner than .062, I'll use a vacuum pump fixture I made pumping it down to hold the part...just and FYI to other machinist's out there.

So I am to surmize that the heat gun idea would be a No-Go....

Blog Entries

Heres a link to a photo album a member did on here about debadging. Should give you all the info you need. Hope it helps.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/album.php?albumid=912

2003 Silverado 1500
    V8 4.8L 294ci
    2 inch Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    3 inch Rough Country Lift
    33 inch Nitto Terra Grapplers
    5% Tint All Around
    2 12" Kenwoods

Thanks for that...I had a peak and made some decisions.

I bought #30 fishing line and already had plenty of goo-off but no plastic putty knife. There's an auto body paint store around the corner and mentioned what I needed to accomplish. He said we sell these things like hot-cakes. It's a plastic coated but soft exterior finish with a metal frame interior scrapper. Uh...ok I'll take one ( $10.95 and the fishing line was 9.95)

I applied the Goo-Off to all the badges and let it sit for no more than it took to collect my stool and a bunch of micro-fiber towels and paint cleaning materials together. I cut 30" of the fishing line and used my tig welding gloves to wrap the line around and see-saw the badges off. Total time for the remaining three badges was less than 10 mikes. Then, I applied the Goo-Off to all the remaining glued areas and started back at the first one. The plastic "gizmo" was the bomb for removing the remaining glue schmootz.

All said and done my truck was de-badged-paint cleaned-prepped-waxed in an hour.

Time for a cocktail....

Blog Entries

Nice, good work

Default adhesive removal

I took mine off along with 8 feet of rocker panel crome I didnt want that was solid adhesive 8" tall! I took my thumb and was able to roll most of the badge glue off, then I got an eraser wheel and it worked good but dont get carried away, I burnt through my paint in a couple of spots. laquer thinner takes the residual right off and doesnt hurt the paint. Denatured alcohol also works.

zippo lighter fluid--strong enough to remove the go with ease and it won't harm your paint job. Works better than goo gone. We use it on half million dollar prototypes, so I trust using it on my truck.
    1997 Chevy K3500
    4x4 X-Cab Dually
    454 Dual Exhaust

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by