GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Noob question: can not get 3rd row bench to latch down

Hi,

I have a (new to me) '97 K2500 SLT. Really love it and all the heavy duty parts on it. The 4L80E in it is in great shape and the previous owner had put a nice Mag-Hytek rear diff cover on, but I digress.

I pulled the 3rd-row bench (without much trouble) to do some hauling and now, for the life of me, I cannot get the latches on the bottom of the bench to engage with the floor-mounted hooks to snap the bench back in.

Is there a special trick? I tried tilting / pivoting the bench slightly but no dice. Is it really a question of just applying brute force to snap the bench back in?

Thanks in advance.

/alex
    Last edited by ard; 08-04-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: typo

Welcome to the site! I have very little experience with this, but as I remember getting the "front" in the right place is the key. There are a lot Sub' owners on the site, so someone else may have a better answer. Good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Don't know how much my experience with the late '80's one will help, but once you have the front in how it's supposed to go I just kinda slam the back part down to make it latch.
    Joseph

Airforce Veteran (7 years)

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joeairforce View Post
    Don't know how much my experience with the late '80's one will help, but once you have the front in how it's supposed to go I just kinda slam the back part down to make it latch.
    Ditto for the 80s bodystyle that goes all the way up to 91. I'm pretty sure they used a different, but similar latching mechanism in the 90s bodystyle.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend

If the front hooks on the third seat arent in correctly it will make it dificult to get the actual latch to click into place, i just slide mine along the floor and when the fronts catch, I lift the rear up and sort of let the weight take care of itself, and I dont ever have problems. I would flip the seat upside down and see if you can get them to latch using a thick screw driver and then play with the actual latch release, give them a good shot of WD-40 too
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16