GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Flat tire and woes in Sherman Texas

So my wife's grandmother is in the hospital in Sherman, Texas so we took the two hour drive from our house up here for a Sunday afternoon sick visitation and we'd kill two birds and visit her paternal grandfather who lives in Dennison nearby.

Well, before heading out the tires looked a bit low so I pumped them all up to make them equal and headed out. One of them looked a little off, but it was just above the wear mark and it looked pretty good from my eye so I gave it a thumbs up and we headed out.

Well, we got on I-75 and we were going at a steady 65 MPH speed and we passed a broken-down car and my wife asked me what we would do it we got a flat tire, I was about to say that we hadn't had one in a LONG time when ... THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP ... the right-rear tire blew out on us. It didn't just blow out, buit the side wall disentegrated!!! As luck would have it, we were not in a place that we could pull over very easily, too many cars going by ... so I drove past the next on-ramp and we had enough room.

I ended up calling the GM Motot Club where I have a policy, but I didn't have the membership card. That's ok, they said, they would honor it. That's pretty cool. I ended up figuring that I would be able to change it myself ... BIG mistake, as I had to kneel down it a big pile of ants and chiggers. Yuck. I got the wife and the kids off into the grass ... more ants and chiggers! So it took me about 25 minutes to get the spare tire down, the Trailblazer jacked up, the shreded tire off, the spare tire on and back ont he road. The city of Anna police stopped by to help divert traffic, officer Harris I think was his name.

Then we get up here and we look at the other tires, not looking all that great, so we're going to stay overnight and maybe get a new set of rubber tomorrow at the Discount Tire or maybe just Wally World if they have some BF Goodrich or comparable tires.

So we're up here, end up having the baby throw up all over us, my oldest boy was cranky from traveling so far and getting out in the sun for 30 minutes, the wife threw her back out some how and I'll got to get us all up early tomorrow morning.

I think this covers under the GM Motor Club "accident" policy as we are over 100 miles away from home right now and it was probably some road debris (!) that caused the tire to explode like that in seconds. The'll cover us for a place to stay and reasonable stuff like food and a rental car ... not gonna need that, just need some new shoes on the TB and we'll be good to go back home tomorrow late morning.

But, WHEW! What a day!

We're staying at a Holiday Inn Express and I told my woes to the dude running the front desk and how I need a beer. He said, "you want a beer? We've got some left over from the Happy Hour!". So he got me a couple of semi-cold Coors Lights on the house. That's just awesome!

Here's the Trailblazer with the spare tire on it - this is probably the factory spare

Here is the shredded tire - the whole tread just about flew off. Never had a tire do this before honestly.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

I hope that tire didn't shred up your quarter panel...
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Not suire, I'll check inthe AM.

Sorry for your misfortune. I had two flats on a borrowed trailer within 20 minutes of each other. I'll put the story up on my K20 rebuild thread. As for tires, we had an 02 TrailBlazer. I bought Michelin X at Sams. They lasted forever. Buy P rated tires, not LT. You don't need 10plys on that ride LOL.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Man, your next tires really should be some Michelins. I work at Sam's Club, and I look at tires all day long. The Michelins are the best tire we offer, and in my opinion, the best tire on the market. The Michelin LTX's are amazing. If I could afford them, I would put them on both of my trucks! But some Michelins cross terrains would be great too.

Well, you get what you pay for I guess.

Becuase I got these at Discount Tire, I went back there and got the same tire. Ended up being the best deal for the money by far after everything. They covered the blow-out for free becuase I had paid for the free replacement deal they offer for like $16 when I got them three years ago.

Pathfinder Trail A/P - Two lasted maybe 35,000 and two were under 30,000 miles.
    Two of the tires only had 27,500 miles on them and they had a 30k or a 40k tear warranty on them. Again one was free, so the two they gave me like $70 credit for the two and with one free I got three new tires (plus my existing full-size spare that was unused) and I got out of there for $250 total.

If I would have gone with something a little higher priced, I would have been upwards of $500 to 700, even with the credits they gave me.

All in all, if you want to get some average tires installed with a warranty that is backed-up, and get them installed for cheap ... go to Discount Tire Company. That's my experience and it's nice to have a company that will back up their guarantees.

I have been buying tires at discount for years (had a friend that managed one). I always buy the warranty. At 15-20 a tire it is definately worth it. I have replaced atleast 4-5 tires (nail in sidewall etc. fortunately no blowouts) over the years on my wifes car and only paid the price to put the warranty on the new tire.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Plus, I have GM MOTOR CLUB (www.gmmotorclub.com) protection and I was more than 100 miles away from home (it was like 105 miles away- haha) so the hotel and at least one meal will be free. hahaha. That's a good deal, I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Default The Trailblazer's New Tires

Here are the new tires and the blowout.

I got these at the Discount Tire in Sherman Texas that's right off I-75. The manager's name .. get this ... is Bobby Hill. hahaha

Discount Tire Sherman Texas

Installation of the Pathfinder Trail A/P Tires

--- BLOWOUT! ---
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P7200892.jpg   P7200889.jpg   P7200897.jpg  

I was getting ready to take on Allstate's plan but after reading about GM's, we're going to join up with them. Question I have for you is, did they really cover this blowout as an "accident"? They don't really have any of the fine print rule son their website.

--Joe