GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Yeah would def like to see some pics, I have been looking at the viper system myself just dont want to spend the same amount on labor as the system itself costs....I hate cali labor cost.
    Recommendation: Buy a Python. It's the same manufacturer as Viper and has the same set of options available. (In fact the window roll-up module, tilt sensor, glass break sensor, etc are identical regardless of which you buy!) The Python is lower in cost than the Viper and has none of the dealer-protection crap (a la no warranty unless you purchase a Viper from a Viper dealer) going on. This means with a Python you can spend far, far less on the equipment, put it in yourself, get the same capabilities, and still have a warranty.

One heads-up -- be prepared to flash the unit you buy, which means make sure you get the kit that allows you to connect to your PC and flash it. You'll likely need to.

Build threads are up. They are mostly summarized. After three hours I started losing motivation lol

Thanks Zig. I asked a bunch of LED questions in that thread. The low-hanging fruit would be the HVAC controls and gauge cluster as both are easily removable -- but I'm not sure how to get into them or how many LED's (and what model number LEDs) are needed for each. I'm leery of the steering wheel work due to the air bag but I really want to do that mod, too, so any details there would also be appreicated. Take a poke at my questions when you have time and your motiviation has recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Hey if you decide to go through with it let me know how it goes..I have an
    06 silverado that I'm looking to do to.
    So I dug into using a junked cluster. As it turns out the odometer reading is stored IN THE CLUSTER, not in the computer where you'd expect it to be (using the cluster merely as output). This means use of a junked cluster will require programming at a dealership. You also risk getting one from a truck that didn't have steering wheel buttons ... in which case yours will cease to work as I understand it.

So, the junked cluster is out because what seemed like a good, simple idea ended up being overly-complicated thanks to poor design decisions by GM. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by surrealone View Post
    So I dug into using a junked cluster. As it turns out the odometer reading is stored IN THE CLUSTER, not in the computer where you'd expect it to be (using the cluster merely as output). This means use of a junked cluster will require programming at a dealership. You also risk getting one from a truck that didn't have steering wheel buttons ... in which case yours will cease to work as I understand it.

So, the junked cluster is out because what seemed like a good, simple idea ended up being overly-complicated thanks to poor design decisions by GM. Meh.
    The junked cluster is a good way to familiarize yourself with it if you are uncomfortable with soldering on your cluster, but yes the mileage is store in the cluster itself. Other than that, having steering wheel controls or not won't affect the functionality of the cluster... that is controlled by your truck's computer so nothing would change there.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by pmf608 View Post
    The junked cluster is a good way to familiarize yourself with it if you are uncomfortable with soldering on your cluster, but yes the mileage is store in the cluster itself. Other than that, having steering wheel controls or not won't affect the functionality of the cluster... that is controlled by your truck's computer so nothing would change there.
    I thought the same thing but read elsewhere that if it came from a truck without steering wheel controls it would render mine useless. It seemed odd but plausible, as this -IS- GM we're talking about, here -- they don't always have the sanest of designs. (Example: storing odometer reading in the gauge cluster rather than the computer!)

The mileage in the cluster is a bit odd, I'll admit. It IS hidden in the computer somewhere though. As far as the functionality of the steering wheel controls go, that wouldn't be affected because they work through the computer system on the truck. As long as it is activated in your computer, your cluster has no say in it - it will work whether it came from a truck that had them or not. That's the nice thing about the computer system on these trucks... if the computer says its OK, then everything else will work. It just makes it harder to find electrical gremlins when they pop up.

I apologize if this question has been addressed in this thread already,but how many total LED's will I need to do my 2000 Silverado cluster? I've already done my '00 Prelude with the 120 deg. HD blue LED's from S----brightleds.com and it's an awesome improvement.
    Thanks, V1
    It's never really finished...and faster is always better.

2000 Silverado 1500 4x4 Z71 Copo
    5.3 K&N CAI Cat Back Flowmaster Duals
    4L60E TransGo kitted w/Oregon Performance HiPo servos
    Rancho suspension lift
    MB V-tec wheels Nitto Terra Grapplers
    Diablo Tune

Quote Originally Posted by Velocity1 View Post
    I apologize if this question has been addressed in this thread already,but how many total LED's will I need to do my 2000 Silverado cluster? I've already done my '00 Prelude with the 120 deg. HD blue LED's from S----brightleds.com and it's an awesome improvement.
    Thanks, V1
    The 2000 will take 6 LEDs to do the gauge cluster. You will need 194 type bulbs and the correct bases. Check out my write-up here:
    How To: 1999-2002 Silverado Gauge Bulb Swap

Quote Originally Posted by pmf608 View Post
    The 2000 will take 6 LEDs to do the gauge cluster. You will need 194 type bulbs and the correct bases. Check out my write-up here:
    How To: 1999-2002 Silverado Gauge Bulb Swap
    Awesome how to step by step. What a nice improvement to the GM IP too. Thanks for your help. Ordering my LEDs. This is an easy one and really makes a pleasant difference.
    V1