GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Excessive brake dust accumulation

Anyone else get a lot of brake dust collecting on their front rims? It seems like they are darkening back up only a week or so after cleaning. I don't remember having this issue on my 07 Silverado. I don't know why an 08 Sierra is doing it. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

I know certain vehicles have this issue. If everything looks like it is working properly you can usually buy a dust sheild to keep some of the dust off the wheels
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Blog Entries

Are they the original brake pads? Did you buy the truck new or used. If used then did the original owner do a brake job and use inferior pads. If they are crappy pads change over to Greenstuff 7000 series pads, they leave no dust at all.
    BRYAN

"IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A TRUCK IT'S JUST A REALLY BIG CAR"

02' Avalanche 2500 Onyx Black
    8.1L Vortec
    43,000 miles

I bought it used but it only had 25k miles. I don't think the original owner would have put inferior pads on when the stock should still have plenty of pad on them.

you have semimet pads and they just do this. wear out faster. and it's one of those, darn if you do and darn if you don't - switch to ceramics, and you'll end up with annoying squeek that won't go away, but no dust. so i just buy mid end semi mets.
    DON'T FIX IT IF IT AIN'T BROK. IF IT'S BROK - FIX RIGHT AWAY.
    WONNA THINGS DONE RIGHT, DO THEM YOURSELF

2000 SILVERADO, CENTURION EDITION, 4WD, Z71, 5.3 VORTEC
    NO DUMM MODS

Well that's annoying. Thanks for the info anyway.

If you want no or little dust then get ceramic pads. They are low dust. The dust is a light grey and doesn't make your wheels look black. It's pretty easy to clean.

Semi-metallic pads do dust but tend to provide better braking.

Which is most important to you?

I've run ceramics on several cars. With no squeaking problems. Depends on what you buy.

Don't cheap out on brake pads. Stopping is kind of important...
    Last edited by vms4evr; 07-21-2009 at 11:15 PM.
    2006 Chevy Silverado, 5.3L, Z71, Extended Cab. Tow Mule.
    2002 Chevy Corvette Z06, 5.7L, Slightly Modded. Tow Payload.
    2005 Craftsman Riding Mower, 17hp, light mods.

Use the transmission to slow down. No brake dust. 18 wheelers do it everyday. They call it Jake Brake.

Jake Braking doesn't really apply to normal vehicle unless you have a manual transmission. I know how to coast to a stop when I can but my truck actually conserves it's momentum pretty well unless I'm going up hill. The result is that most of the time I have to brake. This doesn't include when people do stupid things like try to get run over by my truck.

I just thought that to have this drastic a difference between an 07 Silverado and an 08 Sierra to be a bit odd. Maybe some cheap aftermarkets were put on it or GM changed their mind for some unknown reason. Either way I'll just deal with it until they wear down or I have more money than I know what to do with. I'm betting on the wearing down first.

that and a jake brake is more deisel engine braking and not transmission. since it puts exhaust gasses back into the cylinder and then they can maintain their current gear or then lower gears. But thats more to help slow or maintain speed with heavy loads when riding the brakes is not a good idea
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast