GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Hood Insulation Pad

Is the insulation pad attached to the underside of the hood necessary, and what will be different if i remove it. I only ask bc i have a new cowl induction hood and im wondering if the pad will affect the "performance" of the hood. Thanks.
    Andy
    05 Silverado 1500 Z71 Until 6/5/12

Straight Pipe Dual Exhaust
    LED Third Brake Light
    Ram Air Cowl Induction Hood
    Edelbrock Shorty Headers
    DeBadged

it depends on whether or not your hood is functional i would assume. i am also guessing that the pad will help reduce any chatter caused by the vibrations
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

I have a cowl hood too but i left the padding on because it really does cut down under hood temperature, it also does help a little with road noise but its more for the temperature, you drive around alot and leave that thing off you wont want to touch the hood because it will be really hot.
    "Assumptions are the mother of all F***-ups.
    |BBK Throttle Body | TBS Spacer | Airaid Intake| SLP Headers | X=Pipe W/ Dual Exhaust Out Side| Goodmark Hood | HID's Heads & Fogs | Pioneer In-Dash| Zapco Reference 200.2| US Amps Merlin MD1D| US Amps XT1600.4| 3 Sets of Component Speakers| Custom Kick Panels| Ten 12 inch Subs| Back-up Cam| Lowered | 22inch Rims| Smoked Tailights| Custom Programming | Color Matched Plastics

Default Just Removed Hood insulation .. paint concerns

87 C10.

I just removed my hood insulation. It was a giant black fiberglass cloud of crap.. looks 1000 times better.

Not concerned so much about engine/road noise, but do fear the engine temperture could cause hood paint (which is maybe 4 years old) to get ruined.

Thoughts? Any suggestions for a replacement? Something alot cleaner and neater.

Anybody been running without one for a long time in a 80s C10 and have no issue with hood paint?

Thanks for any help or information.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser-Wave View Post
    I have a cowl hood too but i left the padding on because it really does cut down under hood temperature, it also does help a little with road noise but its more for the temperature, you drive around alot and leave that thing off you wont want to touch the hood because it will be really hot.

thats alot of speakers in your sig, arent you affraid your eardrum will pop?

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|