GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Unitrin Insurance Claims Process Games and Headaches

Looks like I had to move over from my Response Insurance Company to UniTrin, because UniTrin bought out Reponse. I only had a couple of issues with Response, mostly a billing issue that got ugly, but they did have good customer service otherwise and paid promptly.

Here's hoping that I'll stay with Unitrin for a long time and that the rate will always stay low!

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

I'm so/so with Unitrin right now. They have not communicated very well with me after my wreck two weeks ago. I have to pay for the rental car up front and then they will send me a check. Plus, it's been over two weeks and I have not seen the appraisal for the Trailblazer, so that concerns me. They flat-out said that they would not pay for storage for the TB right now and I need to move it to a free storage place, but that concerns me as I have the right to get my own appraisal done.

So, the rates are cheap overall, they were quick to respond to the accident, but overall they are going slow on my end. That's kidnda working out, becuase now I have more time to look around, I'm just afraid they will not pay for the rental car. They appear to be nickle-and-diming me on this. Makes me worries.

Unitrin is really bad to deal with, I got hit by a gal that was driving a GMC van. It totaled out my truck! Anyway she had UNITRIN and they were a pain in the butt to deal with (lawsuit pending).
    Unitrin insurance is one of the worst insurance companies to deal with.  They play games, hold onto money owed to you for as long as possible, and do whatever they can to make you cave in for as little as possible.
    Ford has a better idea! Drive a GM!

07 GMC Sierra Classic
    07 Honda Accord EX-L

68 Camaro (blown)
    2011 Ford F550 V10
    I don't own this truck, I just drive it!

Well, there you go. Thanks for that perspective. Unitrin is actually not being very nice right now, I'll post over some of the texts I've been getting in email from them.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Enclosed you will find the CCC total loss evaluation of your vehicle and a total loss letter. CCC is an industry standard in total loss evaluation. If we have missed any options please let me know immediately so we can have that adjusted. Under your policy you have what is called a “duty to mitigate your damages”. Allowing excessive storage fees to incur on your vehicle for no reason would be considered a breach of that duty. Especially since we spoke on day one you stated you would release your vehicle to copart and now have refused to do so.

We are simply trying to get your vehicle to a secure lot that does not charge $30.00 - $50.00 per day for it to just sit there. Your shop has called me and asked my why we have not picked up the vehicle as they know unnecessary fees are adding up. We cannot do anything with your vehicle without a title anyway so I’m confused as to your behavior. We would not owe the excessive storage fees you are incurring and Unitrin Direct has sent you a letter stating this. Once we tell you what the total loss offer is we do not owe any rental beyond that day but as a courtesy we add 2 days to that, whether you agree to the total loss offer or not. Attached you will find your total loss evaluation and total loss payout below. Please review all the options and let me know if we have missed any. As of this time I have not received any receipts from you concerning maintenance or new tires etc. Basic maintenance would not really add anymore value to your vehicle since that is what is expected, but if you had new tires on the vehicle that would add some value, but not a lot as your vehicle is considered to have good tires already. You also have under your policy a duty to cooperate it reads as follows:

A. We must be notified promptly of how, when and where the accident or loss happened. Notice should also include the names and addresses of any injured persons and of any witnesses.

B. A person seeking any coverage must:
    1. Cooperate with us in the investigation, settlement, or defense of any claim or suit

Please let me know how I can expedite this claim for you as your refusing to use the telephone has already caused unnecessary delays. Your total loss payout is listed below this letter. All emails will be followed by letter copies sent usps also.

Cordially,

Will .S
    This is actually pretty outrageous. I signed the form for the repair shop to release the vehicle, so it's good to go. I know for a fact that they have not called him and "asked my why we have not picked up the vehicle..." so that's an outright lie to me. The policy states that I have a "reasonable": timeframe to find a new vehicle, or get mine repaired, so this idea of 2 days after they tell me the total loss is just BS. Plus, they didn't give me a copy of the appraisal, he just took part of the appraisal and attached it to the end of his email, so I can't tell what the options are.

Honestly, I think I'm dealing with someone who's not very bright. Sigh, oh well, need to be salt of the earth I guess and tolerate those less fortunate on the planet. haha

I have Geico they took care of my truck and went after Unitrin, but getting Unitrin to pay for my medical is another story, I had to get an attorney!

Sorry about that, it's tough and I can see both sides of the situation, but come on ... don't outright lie to me.

Here is what my policy states:

Our payment will be limited to that period of time reasonably required to repair or replace the
    "your covered auto" or the "non-owned auto".

Here is what my claims rep just wrote in an email:

Rental is for the repair of your vehicle. Since your vehicle is not going to be repaired, we would authorized to 2 days after the total loss
    payout is amount is given.
    The problem is, he sent me a short email that I guess is supposed to contain the proposed value for the vehicle. There is no appraisal so I'm not sure they have all of the features and options for my vehicle listed for me to see.