GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: lowering rear?

Default lowering rear?

ok, my birthday is next month, and i was hoping to get a 2" lowering kit for the rear of my truck, if i do, will i have to get the front end aligned?

Common sense tells me no since you are not changing the geometry of the front end, I think you'll be fine. But someone else may know different!
    Adam

Sr. Mechanic

I have lowered the rear of many of my trucks and NEVER had any problems. You should be fine.

Good Luck!
    Be Blessed

you shouldn't need to align since you are not changing anything up front
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

the only way you would need an alignment is if you are going to be moving or changing the tie rods, if you dont adjust them you really wont need to do an alignment with a 2" drop.

Are you going to do 2" drop all the way or a leveling kit? I'm not 100% sure on your style but if you drop the front with out drop spindles you might start to wear the inner parts of your tires faster, if that happens you need drops spindles or caster plates.

ok, thanks, and 09lowrider, im just doing the kit on the rear for now

im assuming your doing the 2" lowering shackles? if so, you will not need to align anything up front, i did this a couple of years ago and it never came out of alignment, you should be good. You will like the look much better too

05 Silverado Crew Cab, 5.3L engine w/ custom exhaust dumped before rearend, Superchips, custom paint matched mirrors, bumpers, bowtie, door buckets & tailgate bucket, Grippin billet door handles & tailgate handle, smoked taillights, HID lights, 2" lowering shackles, 20" rims, Toyo Proxes, Nu Image Red gauges, Pioneer D3 In dash, RE Audio comp/speakers, US Amps 1600.4 Xterminator amp, 4 10" pioneer shallow subs, Arc Audio KS 1000.1 amp, Autopage RS 1000 Remote Start & Alarm

yeah i think it will look good, i we had to get some sand for a path we are making, and we got my truck do do the dirty work the bed go filled with sand and gave me an idea of how it will look