GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Hypthetical Q: Lift, Wheels, Tires

2001 Silverado Z71 completely stock suspension. I have been looking and looking at the charts for sizing of the tires and whatnot. If I do wheels and tires I am also doing a 4" suspension lift.

I have always been used to lowering cars and whatnot and not used to lifting trucks. So, If i did lift my silverado around 4", would it be a wiser decision to do a smaller wheel (around 16") and a bigger tire or a bigger wheel (around 18") and a little smaller tire...or is that possible?

I would prefer a bigger wheel (round 18"), but if its not possible to get a tire like that then I would rather get the 16s.

Also, what size tire would I be able to fit on the wheels in their respective sizes?

I know its a big question but I am completely new to lifting trucks...

Also, will an alignment be needed after lifting? I know lowering you need one, didnt know if the camber and such was effected the same was as lowering...my guess...yes.
    2001 Silverado Z71 4X4 Black

well im no expert but i have learned a few things since being on this great site. im pretty sure depending on the size of your lift, they recommend a certain size wheel. personally i think you should get at least an 18in wheel. and yes u will definetly need an alignment.. good luck bro
    2007 GMC Sierra SLE CC, fabtech, 20x10 ultra predators, toyo mts

I have 7 1/2 inches of lift with 20" wheels and 35" tires. I believe with a 4 inch lift you could fit 33 inch tires. I would go with 17 or 18 inch wheels. Just make sure you get the proper offset/backspacing. You will need a good alignment after the lift.

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    6" Suspension Lift and 1.5" Body Lift
    20x9 Ballistic Jesters w/35" Toyo Open Country MT's & 1.5" rear wheel spacers
    4:56 Yukon Gears
    Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator
    Baja style bed mount spare tire carrier
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals
    Tint, Line-X bedliner, Window visors, Rear wheel well liners
    Painted front grill, bow ties and door badges, de-"lettered" tailgate
    Powder coated front and rear bumpers

x2 on the alignment.

As far as rims/tires, it is up to you. I've always liked the more tire look, so I go with the smallest rims possible.
    2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 in Black

6" BDS Suspension Lift | 3" BDS Body Lift |17" Rock Crawler Stellies | 35" Cooper STTs | 4.56 Yukon Gears | AirAid CAI and TBS | Flowmaster 40s | HyperPAC Programmer

2001 TJ Sahara in Sienna

3.5" RE Suspension Lift | 33x12.50 Baja MTZs | D30/44 | ROKMEN Merc Front Bumper | Warn Rockcrawler Rear w/ Carrier | Warn M8000 Winch

Blog Entries

Heres a link to a tire fitment guide, on there it says you can fit 33 inch tires with 4 inches of lift. As far as wheel size thats your choice it dosent affect fitment at all as far as clearing them wth lift the tires what you got to worry about there.

Heres the link

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/T...Guide_2009.pdf

2003 Silverado 1500
    V8 4.8L 294ci
    2 inch Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    3 inch Rough Country Lift
    33 inch Nitto Terra Grapplers
    5% Tint All Around
    2 12" Kenwoods

Quote Originally Posted by kgibson181 View Post
    Heres a link to a tire fitment guide, on there it says you can fit 33 inch tires with 4 inches of lift. As far as wheel size thats your choice it dosent affect fitment at all as far as clearing them wth lift the tires what you got to worry about there.

Heres the link

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/T...Guide_2009.pdf

You all are awesome thanks for the helpful information...this is all starting to make sense now. Now on the backspacing, what would I be looking for like around the 5.15" and the offset would be +10mm, they are a 18 x 8.5" wheel.

Looking at that chart I noticed that I could fit 32" tires on my 18's without a lift...that would be definitely ideal. Now I do notice it says positive offset required...so if the wheels I want have a positive offset of 10mm is that going to be enough?

Basically, I don't want the wheels to stick way out.

Positive offset sucks the wheels in
    Negative offset pushes the wheel out

Cool Hypthetical Q lift wheels tires

Id like to suggest that if your thinking about a 4inch lift with 33s, I would go ahead a go with a 6inch lift and 35s. Its more money but when I worked at a 4x4 shop every customer that had us put a 4inch kit on came back later and said they wish they had gone with the 6inch (we tried to tell them but they thought we just wanted to upsell them). Some even had us remove the 4inch and install the 6inch (money to burn)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by masterfoxscout View Post
    Positive offset sucks the wheels in
    Negative offset pushes the wheel out
    so +10mm from stock wouldnt be a huge difference from what I am thinking.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by