GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1st Long Road Trip Pulling Our Camper

Hello all I am new to this forum. My wife and I are planning our first long road trip from the mountains of Wyoming to Boise, ID pulling our 19 ft camper. We have a 1997 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban with the 7.4l engine, the chassis has 110,000 miles, but a brand new engine was installed 35,000 miles ago. I just replaced the fuel pump this week, it died on our first long road trip on the way back from Denver, CO. I changed the oil yesterday and had the coolant checked. I thought I would get the transmission serviced before we hit the road in two weeks, but I was wondering if anyone on the forum had other suggestions of things I might want to consider doing in preparation for this trip. I would like to avoid any breakdowns if possilbe

Thanks for any suggestions or advice you can provide.

Welcome.
    It sounds like you're on the right track for maintenance. I did the tranny on mine before our trip, just to be sure. Do you have an aux. cooler?
    When was your last alignment? A/C check?

That's all I can think of right now.

Good luck, put up some pictures,

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

Personal thought, only change the fluid, skip the power flush option.
    Kick the tires and check the air.
    Have a good time. Camping with the family is the best!
    Keep some water if youre not sure how she'll do on the grades this time of the year.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by tlperry68 View Post
    Personal thought, only change the fluid, skip the power flush option.
    Kick the tires and check the air.
    Have a good time. Camping with the family is the best!
    Keep some water if youre not sure how she'll do on the grades this time of the year.
    Welcome! Remember to check the air in the spare tire as well...I only bring this up because I had a flat one time and changed the tire only to realize my spare was flat as well. Have fun!

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    6" Suspension Lift and 1.5" Body Lift
    20x9 Ballistic Jesters w/35" Toyo Open Country MT's & 1.5" rear wheel spacers
    4:56 Yukon Gears
    Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator
    Baja style bed mount spare tire carrier
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals
    Tint, Line-X bedliner, Window visors, Rear wheel well liners
    Painted front grill, bow ties and door badges, de-"lettered" tailgate
    Powder coated front and rear bumpers

At least check the rear axle lube, if not change it. Also, if you have 4x4, transfer case and front axle lube. I also would suggest staying away from a transmission flush. Drop the pan, change the filter, fill it back up. That big block should be fine hauling that little camper. When you are towing, check your tire temps with your hand everytime you stop. Truck and trailer. Do you have a spare for the trailer too, and the tools to change?

I blew three trailer tires this past week. Not prepared, what a PITA.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    At least check the rear axle lube, if not change it. Also, if you have 4x4, transfer case and front axle lube. I also would suggest staying away from a transmission flush. Drop the pan, change the filter, fill it back up. That big block should be fine hauling that little camper. When you are towing, check your tire temps with your hand everytime you stop. Truck and trailer. Do you have a spare for the trailer too, and the tools to change?

I blew three trailer tires this past week. Not prepared, what a PITA.
    X2 on what 2COR said. Don't get a transmission flush unless the fluid is in very bad condition. Think about synthetic oil in the transmission, transfer case and diffs.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Several of you have mentioned skipping the transmission flush, what is the reason for this? Is it because it might dislodge debris that can cause transmission issues?

Quote Originally Posted by WYLD View Post
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. Several of you have mentioned skipping the transmission flush, what is the reason for this? Is it because it might dislodge debris that can cause transmission issues?
    The term "flush" usually means changing all the fluid in the transmission. This is OK if done along with changing the filter. Most quickie lubes "flush" the transmission without dropping the pan and changing the filter. That being said the only reason to change all the oil is if the fluid is real dirty. If your fluid is clean just a regular pan drop and service is all you need. If the fluid is real bad then take it to a shop that will drop the pan and change the filter before flushing the transmission. As a rule quickie lubes do not drop the pan because there are just too many pan gaskets and filters to keep in stock and they can't afford to tie up a lift waiting for parts, which may be wrong after they get there.
    If you do need a flush or just want to do it a good transmission shop or the dealer will assure the job will be done correctly.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Okay that helps. I was planning on taking to the GMC dealer and having them do a service and flush. My main thought was that I am not sure of the complete history of the vehicle. Should I ask the dealer if they are going to drop the pan and filter before they flush or is this a common practice? When I test the fluid it looks used, but I am not sure if it is dirty, it doesn't smell burnt.

Good luck on your trip. Make sure that you have a good set of tools with you and a flash light. You should be good. That's a beautiful drive this time of year. I assume you're going through Yellowstone. Be safe and get some good pics.

-Greg

The fool learns not from the wise man, but the wise man from the fool.

2004 Silverado 4x4 (Suzie)
    6" Fabtech Suspension Lift
    35" NITTO Terra Grapplers
    18" MB Wheels Predators
    Thrush Turbo Series Mufflers
    on true dual exhaust
    Grille by Option Racing

1952 3600
    Finally getting torn down to the frame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast