GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

View Poll Results: IF GM Offered a diesel in every model would you buy one?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, Make it now.

36 72.00%
  • NO, they are smelly

7 14.00%
  • Not Sure.

7 14.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Legend
    Blog Entries

Default If GM went to all models with a diesel option available? would you buy one?

Alright as the title states if GM were to offer a diesel option in every model that they make would you buy one? Im not just talking about the trucks either, im talking about little 4cyl diesels in the cars, and so on. Basicaly similar to Europe where Diesel is the king for milage. I was shopping a little today for a gas mizer for work, and had someone say i should get a Prius, which has been proven to be more damaging to the Environment to build/drive than a HUMMER!
    Anyhow i have seen that GM offers a diesel model in every size in Europe. and they get 40 plus MPG, and have good power. Think about driving your K1500 with a lift to work and getting 25-30mpg with the same power you have now.
    So this is both a poll, and feel free to comment and discuss as well.

And as a disclaimer, the muscle cars of GM would still be Gas engines etc.. this is more for the normal daily commute type vehicle.
    Last edited by murdog94; 03-09-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: disclaimer added.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Yes and No. For me, it comes down to the model. No way would buy a Diesel Corvette or Camaro. But a Duramax 1500 would be kinda nice. I personally would not need a 2500 lined truck, but having a Duramax would be sweet.

I'll go with yes though, it would be cool for the most part

1995 Chevy Tahoe

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by racekid91 View Post
    Yes and No. For me, it comes down to the model. No way would buy a Diesel Corvette or Camaro. But a Duramax 1500 would be kinda nice. I personally would not need a 2500 lined truck, but having a Duramax would be sweet.

I'll go with yes though, it would be cool for the most part
    Think about something more like an impala, or malibu, or even a cruz! that was the intent.

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by caddiac View Post
    Mike, I have driven some of those European diesels and yea, I would consider buying one. If fact, the Smart Car is not all that Smart in the US. I have heard the 3 cylinder diesel used in the Smarts sold in Europe gets 80 mpg.
    I drove a bunch of Diesel model vehicles in Kuwait, and Korea, and yeah they were awsome the parts runner we used in Korea was a Kia van, with a 3cyl 5spd, and it would still do 80mph or more, and drive nice, and for a 1.8L non turbo diesel it went like the dickens.!
    Mike

Currently

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

Ok, I'd rock a turbo diesel Cruz as a DD.

This should be hitting the states some time soon. 250mpg. Kinda cool I guess
    http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/to...-liter-car.htm

1995 Chevy Tahoe

Legend
    Blog Entries

See that would be ok if you want something tiny.. me i want something the same size as a malibu, if i had the cash i would get a jetta TDI.. Im 6ft2 and small cars arent my thing. But if GM made it i would come. And the thing is the diesel powertrains are already in use in Europe on the same chassis that we are currently driving. So really it would take emmissions testing and your good to go. Think yes you may have to pay $3000 or so more for the same car but saving (for me by example) $200 a month in gas that would pay for itself and start saving me money VERY quickly.
    Mike

Currently

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    See that would be ok if you want something tiny.. me i want something the same size as a malibu, if i had the cash i would get a jetta TDI.. Im 6ft2 and small cars arent my thing. But if GM made it i would come. And the thing is the diesel powertrains are already in use in Europe on the same chassis that we are currently driving. So really it would take emmissions testing and your good to go. Think yes you may have to pay $3000 or so more for the same car but saving (for me by example) $200 a month in gas that would pay for itself and start saving me money VERY quickly.
    Jetta TDI's are nice cars, I've worked on a few at work and they move pretty good too. I love driving them when they are 5 speeds. Pretty fun little cars

1995 Chevy Tahoe

Jr. Mechanic

The price point would be the kicker for me. There is no way i'm paying an extra ten grand for diesel GMs. If they make them at the same price and option point as the gas models for the same rough price point I would consider it. But if they only put them in the fully optioned models, forget it.

Legend
    Blog Entries

See that is why i started this since GM only offers the Diesel in the big trucks, and since there isnt as many bought the price is high. I am putting the thought if GM followed the Europe model and offered a Diesel with anything you can get from basic Aveo to a loaded out 3500 1ton. That way the price would come down some, i know it will cost a little to develop and get the correct american emissions however $3000 for a motor that would pay for itself in the first 20K miles isnt a bad deal since after that you are just saving all that money, and you will have a car that lasts two times as long as your current one.
    Mike

Currently

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

Legend

Blog Entries

I voted but I'm keeping my opinion a secret.....

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Hands down I would trade the truck in for a small D-Max in a 1500 if it did not cost an arm and leg.

________2013 4C Rated__________

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast